Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2012 R2 Domain -- HELP -- Changed server name

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alpinetim72

alpinetim72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

Ok guys

Here is a real dozie.

Suppose you have a Server 2012 r2 and it's a primary domain controller.  It has a "servername" and i went in and changed it to "serverothernname"

After reboot the domain is no longer functional and the directory tree is missing fom the active directory.

I want to simply change it back to "servername" and I think everything will begin to work.

Unfortunatley the server gives an error that looks like the below.

Am I hosed and have to start again??

Before anyone asks there are no backups or systems state backups.  The data only is being backed up.

Please help!!!

Attached File  Server.JPG   160.66KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

Ouch!

Something to try - I've never used this to change a server name, but I think it stands a chance...

If you have the DS restore password, boot into DC restore mode. The server should then again be working with local authentication. See if you can change the server name from there.

Reboot and cross fingers everything!

x64

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

To be honest i didnt even think you could change a domain controllers machine name as the Change button is normally greyed out in sysdm.cpl!

has this option been enabled in 2012?

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 05 May 2015 - 08:28 PM.

#4 alpinetim72

alpinetim72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for your help guys but what fixed the issue was going in and changing every refernce to the "new server" name and replacing with the "old server" name in the registry keys.  This completely resolved the issue and I'm back up and running.  I did this from the DC Restore mode.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

Most likely this was a result of not updating DNS server settings.  There were no new host entry for the server name and as such it could not be resolved to the existing domain name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users