Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

5 ways to turn Chrome into a screamingly fast browser

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

What do you guys think about this information from cheesemakers-linux corner link http://www.itworld.com/article/2917944/web-browsers/5-ways-to-turn-chrome-into-a-screamingly-fast-browser.html  - I would like to implement most of what I see here, although I am not aware of any possible implications.

Like how much RAM should be used, don't know if I should change that with just 4gb.  I don't do much heavy duty work with pc so guessing that I could change this unless using a Virtual Machine or something similar?

A couple of things in particular would be to disable some of these until needed?:

1. GPU Process - I'm guessing this is the window that is shown below being open or just running always?

2. Shockwave Flash

3. Broker: Shockwave Flash 

I want the Xmarks, Adblock, and Avast running but unsure about the two Shockwave Flash Extensions.  I'm guessing these are the ones that I would turn off until needed.

2ymu8tt.png

Most of this seems quite harmless and easily reversible if recorded would that be right?

Thanks in advance! pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 05 May 2015 - 01:54 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

All of the ways to speed it up seems fine, except for maybe giving it more RAM. That all depends on how much RAM you have and if you want to give it more. If you make it so most extensions don't run all the time, then the default RAM should be efficient. Again, if you have a substantial amount of RAM and you don't care that chrome can use half a gig, then why not.

I actually hate that Chrome always has the extensions running all the time, drives me nuts. I didn't know that you can change that, I need to do that when I get home...

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:50 PM

Thanks DC! that was a good tutorial from cheesemakers!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

Disabling plugins in a browser is always a good idea, for those plugns you use then chrome's "click to play" and firefox's "ask to activate" option should be used for these plugins. Disabling unused plugins and making others manually launched will help with security against exploits as well. I remember the first time I learnt to do that in chrome, I had a really slow mobile broaband connection at the time, page loading times went from 3 minutes to 20 seconds, all because un-necessary flash stuff was no longer slowing my connection and computer. In chrome plugins used to be literally "click to play", now you have to right click and select the "run plugin" option that appears on the little list, but it's still a good way to make browsing quicker and more efficient (if you use any kind of "pay per megabyte" connection it'll be cheaper too).

Just to mention shouldn't this thread be under the browsers in general section rather than specific to one operating system?

Edited by rp88, 05 May 2015 - 02:08 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

I want the Xmarks, Adblock, and Avast running

You have Avast running on Linux?

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

It's a "Avast Browser Security and Web Reputation Plugin."

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

Yahoo bigger memory suck than Facebook wow!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

What do you think of that Nick?

Not worth having?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Not worth having?

I use WOT personally. There isn't much point to them on Linux in my opinion though. Most web based attacks are going to be biased towards Windows vulnerabilities (they will be based towards the browser as well sure, but if they want access to your system it will be windows based).

The thing I use WOT for is to make see if a site is fishy as far as if I am purchasing something from them. But even then I don't use it much for that since I purchase mostly everything on Amazon anyway.

Use common sense when browsing the web, don't visit a weird looking sites, and don't click on adds. You'll be fine.

*EDIT

No harm in using them though.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 06 May 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:17 AM

This Topic would have received far more exposure (& likely pages of responses) had it been created in the proper section of the forum, there's one for Web browsers, email & so on. 

Browsers in itself aren't a Linux related Topic, unless of course the browser was designed only for Linux. Google Chrome is used on most all OS's, not just LInux. 

Am requesting Topic to be moved to the proper section for the benefit of the entire community. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:17 AM

Not worth having?

I use WOT personally. There isn't much point to them on Linux in my opinion though. Most web based attacks are going to be biased towards Windows vulnerabilities (they will be based towards the browser as well sure, but if they want access to your system it will be windows based).

The thing I use WOT for is to make see if a site is fishy as far as if I am purchasing something from them. But even then I don't use it much for that since I purchase mostly everything on Amazon anyway.

Use common sense when browsing the web, don't visit a weird looking sites, and don't click on adds. You'll be fine.

*EDIT

No harm in using them though.

Agreed, I like the warm feeling that having that "Avast Web Reputation Plugin" gives me LOL.  Probably is of no help to me on Linux but I like knowing if folks have had issues with a site regardless of OS.  And, Avast is so popular I'm hoping that it will do me some good.  I know by looking, that not a lot of people participate in that Plugin, but I will take what I can get for free.   

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:05 PM

I use WOT personally. There isn't much point to them on Linux in my opinion though.

So do I! :thumbup2:

Though it doesn't matter one way or the other in a Linux environment, as far as system safety goes, what it does do is show the site's reputation. For example, if one is considering purchasing from a site that WOT had a Red circle on, think twice before making the move. No OS protects consumers from possible financial theft, or just a plain out shady deal, when making purchases. 

Have been using WOT for years with only a couple of minor issues. Being a community based rating system, a small group of folks can gang up and load bad ratings for a site (it's happened to the site we're now on). Probably someone ticked off & revenge is taken by getting as many as possible to leave bad feedback for a site. 

As for the Avast plug-in, though I once had it, after Avast jacked up their nagging efforts towards it's customers (constantly) to upgrade this & that, I decided it was time for me to move on. For years, Avast was my preferred AV, however in recent ones, it seems like they're loading more & more unwanted popups, some on the very edge of being PUP's themselves. 

I just don't see anything that Avast does as speeding up Google Chrome. One of the best ways of speeding it along is keeping add-ons to a minimum, no more than needed. Clearing the cache every now & then, yet not every day, also helps. I used to be a believer in clearing the cache & other items on a daily basis keeps browsers speedy, and recently read an article that this is the opposite. Having a cache to revisit most frequently visited sites actually speeds the browser, and now only clean once every 10 days to two weeks. 

For transactions, rather than having to manually delete history, I find the Incognito Window useful, this deletes all activity after making purchases. None of this history is kept on the computer. 

Adblock Plus helps to speed the browser, as it doesn't load the ads along with the desired content, and makes for a safer browser. Remember that the ads are fighting for that same bandwidth, having an effective blocking tool helps. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

I use WOT personally. There isn't much point to them on Linux in my opinion though.

Though it doesn't matter one way or the other in a Linux environment, as far as system safety goes, what it does do is show the site's reputation. For example, if one is considering purchasing from a site that WOT had a Red circle on, think twice before making the move. No OS protects consumers from possible financial theft, or just a plain out shady deal, when making purchases. 

My post probably didn't make much sense, but that was pretty much what I was referring to. I don't use it on Linux to keep viruses off, because I am more than likely not going to get any from a site anyway, but more or less to check if a site is safe to buy from, etc.

It has saved me a couple times from shady online deals!

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:57 PM

It has saved me a couple times from shady online deals!

Yes me too, several of these. 

The one thing that I don't get, is how the 'Giveaway of the Day' site keeps a green WOT rating, considering the garbage offerings on the site. Yes there is a gem to be found once a month, and I subscribe for that reason, yet at best, the site should be tagged as Yellow. 

WOT is on all of my browsers, not just Google Chrome. 

Google Chrome is already a fast browser, there's nothing special that needs to be done to make it speedy out of the box, rather keeping it that way after install. Some of which I noted in my last post. There are various articles that I've read that claimed to make the browser faster, yet none proved to be useful. The only Google Chrome tip I've found to be useful in recent months was how to disable their new bookmark manager, which is useless when one has over 100 main folders for bookmarks, each containing as many as 15 sub-folders. 

The 4 steps are in this tutorial. 

http://www.omgchrome.com/disable-chromes-new-bookmark-manager/

Hopefully this will remain a permanent option, if not, will go back to Firefox (or Pale Moon), as long as there's not an abundance of add-ons, it's plenty fast also. 

The only other things I can think of to make Google Chrome faster are adding more RAM, or better yet, installing a SSD. Used to be that adding RAM was the best 'bang for the buck' upgrade, now SSD's are. Google Chrome is fast as greased lightening on these drives. My wife needed to use the computer for a moment to look something up, and I told her to just use mine, hers has a SATA-3 SSD, yet it's hamped by a SATA-2 connection. She was impressed by how fast it was on my main PC. 

Cat

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:39 AM

Though it doesn't matter one way or the other in a Linux environment, as far as system safety goes, what it does do is show the site's reputation. For example, if one is considering purchasing from a site that WOT had a Red circle on, think twice before making the move. No OS protects consumers from possible financial theft, or just a plain out shady deal, when making purchases.  I will have to remember this cat!

As for the Avast plug-in, though I once had it, after Avast jacked up their nagging efforts towards it's customers (constantly) to upgrade this & that, I decided it was time for me to move on. For years, Avast was my preferred AV, however in recent ones, it seems like they're loading more & more unwanted popups, some on the very edge of being PUP's themselves.  I don't get any nagging with the Plug-in and moved to Panda with XP machine.

I used to be a believer in clearing the cache & other items on a daily basis keeps browsers speedy, and recently read an article that this is the opposite. Having a cache to revisit most frequently visited sites actually speeds the browser, and now only clean once every 10 days to two weeks.  O-Yeah, learned this quickly!

For transactions, rather than having to manually delete history, I find the Incognito Window useful, this deletes all activity after making purchases. None of this history is kept on the computer.  I will remember this cat!

Cat

Replies in Blue above

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users