Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Recovery Has Failed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rollerscoas

rollerscoas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hello,

Yesterday I tried recovering my Laptop with recovery CD's. But the recovery attempt has failed. I have the log below and also my computer info. Could you please tell me why I am getting this error and what to do to fix it?

Thanks!

Product Name: Envy Touch Smart m7-J020DX
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Unfortunately the log is too big for me to copy and paste. I have a link i posted on the HP Support forums. Please review the log there.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/The-Recovery-Attempt-Has-Failed/td-p/5006437?device-view=desktop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

Hello, and Welcome,

Hello, and welcome. If the recovery partition is still intact you can do a factory reset by tapping F11 at boot. See this video. The video is for the M6 but it should work for the M7 also. If F11 does not work, then tap Esc and then F11 as noted here. If the computer was upgraded to 8.1 through the store, it's possible the factory rest through F11 will not work.

Be sure to back up any important data first as the factory reset will erase any data placed on the computer after purchase.

#3 rollerscoas

rollerscoas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

Hi.

Unfortunately the recovery partition is not intact. There is currently no recovery partition on the computer. Is there any other options? Do you think ordering another set of recovery disks is a good idea? Also, did you take a look at the log? It seems to be an issue with installing Power DVD 10 or something like that.

Thanks!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

I did notice the p2pp burn boot check error. It seems you have already tried changing the date back to 2012 but I saw 2013 in the error long. Did you try using 2013?

One other option. If you can boot to Windows download Produkey and run it. This will give you the Windows key embedded in BIOS which is standard for all OEM computers with Windows 8. Then go here and download the Windows 8.1 iso that matches your version. You may have to download any drivers after the initial install.

If that does not work then you would need to purchase new install disks.

#5 rollerscoas

rollerscoas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

Hi,

No I am not able to boot to Windows so I'll have to order new install disks. But as in "install disks" do you mean recovery CD's and also, yesterday I got my disk drive replaced. Could this error be because the computer is trying to install something for the disk drive but the drive is not the correct one? If so, what can I do?

Thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

If you got the HDD replaced they could very well be the reason for the error. It's possible the recovery disks need some file on the HDD in order to finish the install. It has nothing to do with the drive being the correct one or not, only that the recovery disk cannot locate a file on the drive which is now blank. You may want to confirm that with HP customer service. It should be free or a nominal fee for the recovery disks or usb if the computer is in warranty.

If you can create a bootable linux disk, you could grab the windows key from firmware. I have not confirmed it yet but the link I provided for Windows 8.1 may be able to install on your computer without providing the key as your key is already locked in firmware. You have to make sure you are downloading the same version, home or pro, as what was originally on the computer.

Edit: When contacting customer service give them the above link or tell them of the P2PP BurnBoot Check Failed error. They may know what is causing this.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 May 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#7 chrisbeep

chrisbeep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

Over the years I've used tape drives, CD/DVD and backup programs but gave up and just clone the hard drives - in my tower the hard drive is in there ready to swap to - my laptop is a 5 minute swap.

My lifetime of data is also on portable drives and two cloud stores and several Android devices.

Nothing is on CD/DVD

I use an Esata to 2.5 cable to copy my laptop - takes about 10 minutes.

I use a hardware copier for my tower.

Both can be done with Paragon hard drive manager (great), or Hirens boot CD or Ultimate boot CD 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users