Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft has no plans to support Media Center with Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pohand

pohand

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

In fact, during this year's Build Developer Conference in San Francisco, Microsoft confirmed to ZDNET in a private meeting that there will no Media Center functionality altogether. Microsoft's Gabriel Aul took to Twitter to formally confirm its exclusion from Windows 10 "We can confirm that due to decreased usage, Windows Media Center will not be part of Windows 10."

Attached File  twwiter.JPG   27.46KB   0 downloads

With me, usually use this software to watch movies and listen music, it's sad news.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

It doesn't really affect me since I never used Windows Media Center. If I ever needed a Media Center, I would just take one of my old computer and transform it in a Media Server. However, they are apparently working on something for people that still wants to read DVDs on Windows, so they'll probably propose an alternate program.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

Too greedy of money, anyway :(

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

It's like they are de-contenting the OS like an auto OEM de-contents their cars. Windows 8 lost the ability to play DVD's. Sure, there is VLC but how many people know about that. Windows 8 removed Glass and put in place an ugly 2D UI. I don't know what the final icons will look like in 10 but from what I have seen they are on the bad side of ugly.

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

Functionality in Windows 10 is terrific.  As for WMC we have long known it was history... it received very little use.  Expect a built-in DVD player by the Win10 GA. 

Nice not to have anything wasted on unnecessary frills

Now running 10 as a physical machine (was a VM until Friday).  Going extremely well, everything works & works well.  The clean, clear appearance is very pleasant & navigating 10 is just so easy.

Edge works much better than IE.  Happy I figured out how to have Edge in Multiple Desktops.

Cheers,
Drew

thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 05 May 2015 - 01:03 PM.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

VLC should be able to replicate atleast some of media centre's functions. I find, as one of the peole who plays DVDs on a windows 8 (and on an 8.1 as well) computer, that VLC does the job perfectly for me. It plays any other video or audio files perfectly also.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

Sure, there is VLC but how many people know about that.

Maybe they don't know about it, but they'll learn about it when looking for alternatives to playing DVD, unless they use the one Microsoft is currently working on.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

It's like they are de-contenting the OS like an auto OEM de-contents their cars. Windows 8 lost the ability to play DVD's. Sure, there is VLC but how many people know about that. Windows 8 removed Glass and put in place an ugly 2D UI. I don't know what the final icons will look like in 10 but from what I have seen they are on the bad side of ugly.

Yes but this will be the world of Windows 10. You will go to the store select that category and they will all be there. They can try one out VLC is already in the store. The store is part of the OS and you will have available to the the largest selection of software on any OS. It will take time to get the modern app numbers up. Windows already leads in WIN32 desktop apps.

Edited by orlbuckeye, 29 May 2015 - 07:13 AM.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users