Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The real reason Microsoft is offering Windows 10 for free

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

Microsoft looks poised to take the same approach with Windows 10. Once the new operating system debuts, the company will count on app sales to drive revenue. Windows 10 will run re-worked Android and iOS apps, which means there is a massive potential number of software packages that developers might like to have available on the many computers that will likely run the new Windows version.

But don't think Microsoft is getting touchy-feely. The software maker's chief operating office recently spoke about moving from one-time licensing fees to an "annuity conversion," meaning that the company may still be trying to figure out how to loop people, or at least corporations, into paying an annual fee.

Article

I am not sure how Microsoft would handle an "annuity conversion" :rolleyes: on an OEM computer but they would lose me as a customer if Windows went to a subscription model or one where no program was allowed to be installed unless from the store.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

meaning that the company may still be trying to figure out how to loop people, or at least corporations, into paying an annual fee.

Someone talked to me about that 2 days ago at work, but there's nothing official on this yet. I know what they mean by that but I'll wait before sharing it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

I am looking forward will the annuality will be true..... :halloween:

Waiting for the confirmation as soon as I smelled windows is going lighter and cross platform. I did see this one coming through..

I will not allow a big hole to be blowed on my pocket. Better luck getting me with another offer :P :warrior:

I am not sure how Microsoft would handle an "annuity conversion" :rolleyes: on an OEM computer

Same way, how OEMs distribute the AVs.... And may be integrate the lock-you-out more and more deeper so you stick with what you got! :wink:

People are not to be spoon feeded always, are they?

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

There is one big mission driving Microsoft, and best not to overlook it:  they are trying to stop pirating of their operating systems. "Annuity Conversion" is a euphemism for realtime OS rental.  This would be a huge step in that direction; each time you boot Windows, M/Soft makes it mandatory to access the Microsoft website and verify your OS and assigned key number. Each time you log in, if you are not internet-connected to M/Soft your system would not boot. It would be extremely difficult to fake a cracked key number if that number was not in their database.

Ok, I can't blame them for that; in various countries pirating is commonplace.  On the flipside, once that policy is in place and standardized and accepted, M/Soft can take it as far and in any direction they want. And that is a position where I (personally) do not want to go. And that is my right, and I will go to Linux permanently.

Edited by ranchhand_, 05 May 2015 - 11:51 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,754 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

As long as Linux is a real option, I will not be paying a subscription fee for my OS.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

1. Linux is definitely not for everyone.
2. IF this was the way, still, better bank for the buck than buying a new OS every 3 yrs.

Nor does it matter how things are done... someone will, still, whinge.

And, yes, the piracy has to be addressed; it costs everyone.

Cheers,

Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

You are correct, linux is not for everyone but it is fun to learn a new OS. I installed Ubuntu dual boot on an old XP computer and find it very easy to use. No registry, no defrag, and all settings in the home directory that makes it very easy to back up. All the software I need is in the Software Center and since it has such a small user base, not much malware to worry about. I was even able to setup my old Lexmark inkjet printer on Ubuntu.

The only disadvantage to linux I see for the average person is the inability to play advanced games and use proprietary software like Photoshop but the average person does not use Photoshop. It is good that Steam is available for linux which does help somewhat.

I still think Windows 7 share of the market will increase. Not sure if the enterprise will migrate to 10 so soon. They sure didn't do it with 8.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

There's always alternative to proprietary software. For example, that person could use GIMP instead of Photoshop. Or use WINE to run Photoshop.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

"The only disadvantage to linux I see for the average person is the inability to play advanced games and use proprietary software like Photoshop"

There is wine, which helps to get atleast some windows programs running. No certainty that it will work for any particular program, but always a chance it might. Anyone sticking with windows for reasons of softare they use that doesn't exist in a linux version should do some research as to whether their software can be made to run in wine. Test linux, install wine, get a copy of the installer for your_mission_critical_windows_exe_program.exe and try it in wine, that's what I'll be doing as soon as I have the time free, in just under a month. They could also test alternatives, but if a user is used to your_mission_critical_windows_exe_program.exe then if they can get it to work undr wine tht will be a better option for them than using linux_equivalent_of_your_mission_critical_windows_exe_program.??? just because of the difficulty they would experience from a change of interface (even if the linux alternative is just as good or slightly better, never underestimate how people like to stay with what they are familiar with).

Edited by rp88, 05 May 2015 - 01:59 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:24 PM

You are correct, linux is not for everyone but it is fun to learn a new OS. I installed Ubuntu dual boot on an old XP computer and find it very easy to use. No registry, no defrag, and all settings in the home directory that makes it very easy to back up. All the software I need is in the Software Center and since it has such a small user base, not much malware to worry about. I was even able to setup my old Lexmark inkjet printer on Ubuntu.

The only disadvantage to linux I see for the average person is the inability to play advanced games and use proprietary software like Photoshop but the average person does not use Photoshop. It is good that Steam is available for linux which does help somewhat.

I still think Windows 7 share of the market will increase. Not sure if the enterprise will migrate to 10 so soon. They sure didn't do it with 8.

Linux for me has been very unfamiliar. Always thought it is for professions. So end users can also deal with Linux?

As to software for Linux, do you know any other software that cannot be used except Adobe? Actually I do sometimes use photoshop. Is there any alternatives?

Edited by Bailifei, 05 May 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:30 PM

I'm naming an alternative to Photoshop under Linux in my post below (it's GIMP):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/575296/the-real-reason-microsoft-is-offering-windows-10-for-free/#entry3698903

There's a website listing a lot of programs under Windows that doesn't exist on Linux and their Linux alternatives if you want to take a look at it.

http://www.linuxalt.com/

Edited by Aura., 05 May 2015 - 08:31 PM.

unite_blue.png

#12 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

"Not sure if the enterprise will migrate to 10 so soon. They sure didn't do it with 8."

Enterprise knows it is not going to stay or be on anything pre-10 sooner or later; it's a when not an if. Anyway, staying focused, Business that didn't go to 8.1, were drawn to it... are ok w/ Windows 10.
The issues they had w/ 8.1 don't exist w/ Windows 10.  There is, also, a lot of the Windows 10 Platform that indulges Enterprise, offering value & appeal.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:22 AM

Business that didn't go to 8.1, were drawn to it

Not really to be honest. Most of them preferred to stay with Windows 7 and wait for the next version of Windows, since Windows 8/8.1 would have been confusing for the users with the whole Metro interface, Metro apps, etc.

unite_blue.png

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:52 AM

Just as a hypothetical side note for the sake of discussion, if, in the unlikely event that there is a sudden movement of millions to Linux, there would be a mass of motivated consumers. If M/Soft really achieves a full "annuity conversion" as we are discussing, I can see a tremendous interest of even the casual user in free Linux, especially in other countries.That is the perfect setup for a serious contender to M/Soft's throne. Not only that, but suddenly there would be some really serious Linux development when the demand got that big. By then the software giants would begin seriously considering development of Linux based versions of their software (except for M/Soft of course).

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#15 sarkar

sarkar

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

Annual subscription model is much better in my opinion as paying 8,000 bucks for only windows that too for 5 -6 years doesn't make sense when building a desktop costs 20,000. Annual subscription should be around 500 - 600 per year like antivirus companies are charging now 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users