Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router To Router Connection

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:17 PM

I bought a new router today, a Netgear WGR614v6. I got it set up and working 100% with wireless and wired connections. I then got the idea to connect my old router through it, a Netgear RP614v2, which worked fine for wired connections; it doesn't have wireless capability.

I want to plug my old router into the new one, and be able to run multiple computers through the old router, which is not located in a different room. I tried simply plugging it in and plugging my computer into it, but or course this didn't work. I plugged my computer in, and the notification showing an unplugged network wire went away. I tried accessing the internet with no luck.

I then searched google for this situation, and found a helpful website, this one. It almost explains my exact situation, with the exception of the router models. I followed the directions, setting up "Router A," my new router, to only issue IPs between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.60. I went onto the next step, disabling DHCP for "Router B," my old router, which also worked fine. I ran into problems when I tried to configure its WAN to any STATIC IP. The problem is, the WAN Setup section under my router's config tool (192.168.0.1 in browser) only the options: Respond to Ping on Internet Port, Default DMZ Server, MTU Size (in bytes) and Default DMZ Server.

Is there another way to configure my router, other than accessing through 192.168.0.1 that I don't know about? Does my old router simply not support configuring it's WAN this way? Some answers would be greatly appreciated, in the mean time I'll be searching google for an answer.

For those who may be a bit confused about what I'm trying to accomplish, here's a diagram (it was fun to make :thumbsup: )

Posted Image

Edited by .Prodigy., 03 July 2006 - 11:51 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:59 AM

In the router setup set the primary router to Gateway and the secondary to router.

Posted Image

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, but that's a linksys configuration. I don't have the same options on a netgear.

Here's a screenshot of what my main config options look like (for my new router, the old is almost exactly the same):
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

I don't know much about this stuff, but since it was suggested that you need to set the first one to gateway, maybe you need to set the IP from statis to gateway?

#5 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

Did you disable DHCP and the firewall on the second router?
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#6 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

I did disable DHCP, but not the firewall. I want to best buy and while I was buying a new printer I asked the guy if he kn ew anything about routers. I explained my problem, and he said I needed a cross-over wire between the two routers. Anybody know if this may fix my problem, or would it just be more time and effort?

Posted Image

#7 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

and he said I needed a cross-over wire between the two routers. Anybody know if this may fix my problem, or would it just be more time and effort?

I was going to say that you needed a crossover cable, but then i read somewhere that you didn't. I am not sure who is right, but I would try it.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#8 IMM

IMM

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:04 PM

In most cases you don't need a crossover cable.
There will be a port called uplink where the 'wires' are already crossed. In a lot of routers this will be the same port as a non-crossed one (eg. port 1). These 2 ports cannot be used simultaneously (1 and uplink) but the crossing is done internally if you use uplink.
You will need to do something along the lines of making it non-gateway though.

That said - I'm not familiar with your hardware.
What is the model of the old router? Are all your pcs on static ips or are they dhcp?

Edited by IMM, 06 July 2006 - 04:05 PM.

#9 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

My old router is a Netgear RP614v2, the new one is a Netgear WGR614v6.
My ISP gives me a static, IP, and the router assigns each computer its own IP, so I'm assuming they're DHCP? I don't know much about how the router works, but I can get info and such if you know what I should be looking for.

I tried making the old router non-gateway, and got the same results. Should I set it's static IP address the address my new router assigns it?

Edited by .Prodigy., 06 July 2006 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image

#10 IMM

IMM

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

It looks like your new router autodetects the crossover vs. non-crossover issue - so it shouldn't really be an issue.
It is likely that both of the routers configure automatically at the same address though. If you leave the new one with 192.168.0.1 you should give the old one a different addy - try making it 192.168.0.2

Please note that you might have trouble with some config software for the old router after that and will need to change something to reflect the new ip for the router? ( I never leave mine at the standard settings anyway - but am not using netgear - so I can't provide the details on that)

If you get it running at some point - it is probably wise that you configure the dhcp ranges differently for the 2 - eg. you can have the primary router/gateway assign in the range 192.168.x.50 -- 192.168.x.60 and the old one at 192.168.x.100 -- 192.168.x.110 (or something similar) -- or better - turn dhcp off on the old one if you can.

This sort of diagram is similar to (but not an exact match) for what you want.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Fra...nk4dnetwork.jpg

What is the "static IP address the address my new router assigns it?"

Edited by IMM, 06 July 2006 - 04:47 PM.

#11 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:30 PM

What is the "static IP address the address my new router assigns it?"

A little typo on my part. What I mean: if I plug the old router into the first port on my new router (the one that would assign 192.168.0.2 to a PC) should I set my old router's static IP to 192.168.0.2 or should I leave it as the IP my ISP gave me?

EDIT: looking at your diagram, it has some thing I haven't though of setting. I'll try to set it up just like that and post back what happens.

Edited by .Prodigy., 06 July 2006 - 06:35 PM.

Posted Image

#12 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:44 PM

AMAZING! Thank you so much IMM. The thing I wasn't setting correctly was the DNS Server and the IP address. Here's what I had to do:

Internet IP Address: Get Dynamically from ISP. After changing both routers to the exact settings you supplied in your diagram, and it still not working, I simply changed the IP status from Static to Dynamic.

The DNS Server I wasn't even changing before. Since I don't know what any of these mean and what they do, I didn't know if it would affect anything, so I originally left it alone. After chaning My primary and secondary DNS Servers to 192.168.0.1, I was able to access the internet.

Thank you all sooo much. I'm now able to use my laptops on this router instead of buying wireless cards for them. THANK YOU!

Just a little question now.. How would I access the computers on the old router from ones on the new router? On this computer (on the old router) I'm able to see the other PCs connected to the new router, but not access them. The PCs on the new router don't even detect the ones on the Old router.

Edited by .Prodigy., 06 July 2006 - 06:58 PM.

Posted Image

#13 IMM

IMM

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

Before I say anything further, I think I need to know what you actually have at this point and what you need for flexibility.

My preference is usu. static IPs on the home lan -- would you consider giving your pcs on the second router a static addy each (eg 192.168.1.40, 192.168.1.41,etc ...) (make them outside the DHCP range of the routers) and turning DHCP off on the second router ?

At any rate (on the old router which is not the gateway - ie. not connected to the modem) is there an easy way to turn NAT off ? (you will still get NAT for the internet through the new router)

Edited by IMM, 06 July 2006 - 08:20 PM.

#14 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:19 PM

I'm not exactly following what you're asking in the first statement. Right now I have 3 Desktop PCs and one Wireless laptop hooked up to my first (new) router. The fourth port on that router is being used for my second (old) router. On the second router, I have 1 Desktop PC and 1 Laptop connected. All I need to be able to do with them is access the internet and access the home network.

Right now, all my computers work on the internet. I'm able to access the network between computers hooked up on the same router, but I can't access computers between routers. Meaning that a computer connected to the new router cannot access the shared folder of a computer connected to the old router.

I've already turned DHCP off on the second router. It was required to get the internet working on the computers connected to it. As far as assigning (manually?) static IPs to each computer on the second router, I have nothing wrong with that. If it will allow me to network with every other computer and use the internet as well, I'd actually prefer it.

Posted Image

#15 IMM

IMM

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:24 PM

Sorry I added a question ot the previous one w/o seeing your latest.
The modem is attached to the new router ?
Is there an easy way to turn NAT off on the old router?
Regarding the various PCs - are they all part of the same workgroup? All running windows? Netbios over TCP/IP enabled on them?

The old router is configured as
LAN IP addressesó192.168.0.2
Subnet maskó255.255.255.0
?

Edited by IMM, 06 July 2006 - 08:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users