Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just downloaded and used Adwcleaner, now just a blank screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kate1bri

Kate1bri

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

To remove a bogus search engine, it recommended adwcleaner.  So being as non-IT as I am , I did it.
It had me download, showed me files to remove, and again being very non-IT, I removed them.  Computer restarted, and I  now get nothing.  I have to power down, restart, and still get nothing. Nothing is equal to a blank screen, except my mouse pointer  I even attempted to open in safe-mode, nothing!  What did I do? obviously removed important stuff, but what can I do to fix?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 May 2015 - 10:43 AM.
moved from Windows Vista

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:05 AM

You said you tried to start in safe mode. Do you manage to get to the Advanced boot screen? If safe mode doesnt boot try "last known good configuration" which is on the same advanced boot screen as safe mode. It will try to bring you back to the configuration you had at last successful logon. Remember to repeatedly the F8 key at startup until you get to the screen. F8 is for Dell and some other brands, your computer may be different key. try that first

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

"To remove a bogus search engine, it recommended adwcleaner"

--- I just did a search for adwcleaner and there are many websites I wouldn't trust downloading adwcleaner from and since the recommendation to download adwcleaner came from a bogus search engine, that doesn't sound good

Since you cannot boot into Safe Mode, I would try this

--- Shut down both the monitor & computer

--- Disconnect internet access: either the Ethernet or wireless access whichever one applies: both if you are using Ethernet but still have wireless access capability

The idea is to ensure the computer cannot connect to the internet and hopefully stopping the bogus search engine along with I believe is a bogus adwcleaner from calling home when you boot back up

--- Turn on the monitor

--- After about 30 seconds boot the computer back up

--- I don't know if it makes a difference whether or not you boot back up in Safe or Normal mode but I would go for Safe Mode at this time

--- If it boots up ok, do not shut down; leave the computer as is

--- Post back on another computer on what happened

Edited by cmptrgy, 05 May 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

If your computer appears unusable, we have experts who can assist with such issues using more powerful tools than are permitted in this forum. Please start a new topic, give it a relevant title, and post it in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Provide a brief description of your problem, your operating system, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users