Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Guidance for SSD Formatting Steps And Win7 Reinstallation.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluedough

bluedough

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:04 AM

Hi everyone, the reason i am writing this post to ask for guidance and helps in formatting my SSD fully and the steps towards reinstallling Window 7 Sp1. This is my 1st time ever at DIY attempt and my knowledge/experience are next to null lol.

Reason : - I have recently been hacked and numerous backdoors probably been installed into my prevous copy of Win 7 to the point i would say it is beyond saving. Due to popular believes and advices i been getting to completely wipe of all possible backdoors/malwares/hackwares or whatever other beasts within, the best fastest and sure  way is to 

1) Reset my router to factory again. Has set up new strong password for it.

2) Format my SSD and reinstall Win7 again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No 1 was done on a diff pc.

As for No 2, i have done following the steps below :-

a ) Reboot with Win7 SP1 Installation CD and press Shift + F10 at language menu ( 1st menu that appears ) so i will have the DOS like command prompts.

b ) Typed 'diskpart'

c ) 'list disk'

d ) 'select disk 0' ( its the only disk i hav on my pc )

e ) 'clean all'

f ) ' create partition primary '

g ) ' list volume '

h ) 'select volume 3' ( in my case volume 1 was my internal dvd drive and volume 2 was my external dvd drive )

i ) ' format fs=ntfs label=" win7 " ( i name it win7 here )

j ) ' exit ' twice

Then i just continued windows installation and selected the disk labeled Win7 as named above at step ' i ) '. 

Once the installation has finished, i just installed the motherboard , usb3.0 and sound driver from the installation cd  I have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far i haven't connected this new installation to internet for fear of it being hacked again and until i have confirmation on issues i have below :

1 ) Is resetting my router to factory setting, fully formatting the SSD and installation fresh Win7 enough to wipe all traces of previous malwares/hackwares/backdoors from previous hack ?

2 ) Are the steps i have laid out above correct in full formatting the SSD drive and reinstalling Win7 ? If there was something wrong i have done , please tell at which step and how to correct it.

3 ) Finally what else should i do to hackproof this pc before connecting it to internet and after connecting it to the internet. ( This forum is pretty much the only source of help and infos for me since i am currently at a remote place with limited DSL inet connection and there is no IT technician around )

Thank you for reading this post so far ( hope its not confusing but please ask away ) and all tips and guidance are welcomed. =)

Edited by bluedough, 05 May 2015 - 04:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

If the system boots currently into Windows...you have done the install sufficiently well.  There are any number of steps that can be used to wipe/reinstall Windows...any of those which result in a working installation is the one which can/should be used.

Resetting the router...is analogous to deleting existing partitions on a hard drive...whatever was there before no longer exists.

There is no such thing as "hackproofing" or "malware-proofing" a system.  There are any number of steps that any user can take to make such intrusions/problems more difficult, which is the typical way to approach system defenses, IMO.  But you can get opinions on such from those who understand more about these issues than I do...by visiting the BC General Security Forum.

FWIW:  One of the most basic tenets of "physical security" involving intrusion...is that, given enough access, time, and effort...anything can be intruded and the defenses overcome.  All defense mechanisms should be constructed with the idea of creating circumstances where a potential invader...doesn't have access, time, and effort.

Computer users seem to often ignore the fact that many of their habits perpetuate access to the system, IMO.

Louis

#3 bluedough

bluedough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

Thank you very much hamluis, your post helped answers my questions up there and i'll look up on the recommendation you gave me. Thank you =).  

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

I went through three re loads using the XP disk and still had issues, what did do the trick was writing 0's to the drive using WD's program deban and a few other should also work.  The other issue I read about was having the bios infected which is only cured with a re flash.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 bluedough

bluedough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:53 AM

Diskpart command ' Clean all ' pretty much write 0 to every block in SSD though i am not sure if it work in the event of being hacked or if it is as good as using dban or other programs. I am very inexperienced at dealing with or formatting a SSD.

There is hack wares/ rootkits  that can survives a full format by infecting the BIOS ? I'm starting to see some weird happenings on my pc after i connected it to internet again few hours ago.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:11 AM

It is possible your router is infected, from what I have read in the past a reset will not fix that. 

Here is just one on many articles:  http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/router-security-risk-fix/

Edited by OldPhil, 07 May 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#7 bluedough

bluedough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:03 AM

Thank you very much, been spending sometime reading from the website you gave up there =).

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hope it gets you out of the woods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users