Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing everything from my computer.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 woodville

woodville

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:10 AM

I am getting rid of a Mesh computer that is currently running Windows XP Home Edition.

I am thinking of removing all programmes and then formatting the hard drive but I also want to make sure that nothing can be recovered by anyone.  If anyone could please advise the best way to go about this I would be grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

You would need to wipe the drive. You could do it using the bootable version of Partition Wizard. A three pass wipe would be more than enough. Burn the iso file in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image or by using Imgburn. You could also use Rufus to create a bootable USB but your XP computer would need to support booting from a USB flash drive.

Another option is to use the bootable Parted Magic based on linux and use the Disk Erase utility. This uses the internal disk erase command built into

the drive.

Here is a video on the use of Disk Erase.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 May 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#3 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:39 AM

Thank you JohnC - I will try one of those but it won't be for a few days as I need to save anything I need before I start.

I have looked at your suggestions and they all look a bit daunting and I'm not sure which one to try - I'm not sure why I need to use a partition programme as well.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:40 AM

The Partition program is just using the wipe function. It is bootable so you can wipe the system disk. For a simpler solution you could use DBan's Boot and Nuke which is also an option in Parted Magic's Disk Erase. Burn the iso file to disk and boot.

http://www.dban.org/download

http://www.dban.org/documentation

Video

#5 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for that JohnC - I will have a look at that programme.

Unfortunately things have now changed as the people that were going to take this computer no longer accept these items.  If I am unable to find someone who would like this item I will try and remove the hard drive and use it for portable storage.  The computer would then have to be recycled. 

It seems that most people are using laptops etc. but I would like to thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users