Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI GT80: 8 Go RAM and GTX 970M vs. 16 Go RAM and GTX 980M

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Omega Force

Omega Force

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:49 AM

Hello.

I'm thinking about buying a MSI laptop.
I'm hesitating between these two:
http://www.fnac.com/mp24497709/MSI-GT80-2QD-046FR-Titan-SLI-18-4-Core-i7-4720HQ-Windows-8-1-8-Go-RAM-128-Go-SSD-1-To-HDD/w-4#bl=HGBPlsi4
http://www.fnac.com/mp24610580/MSI-GT80-2QE-045FR-TITAN-SLI-18-4-Core-i7-4720HQ-Windows-8-1-16-Go-RAM-128-Go-SSD-1-To-HDD/w-4#bl=HGBPlsi1

They are both GT80. They both have a screen of 18.4", a core i7 4720HQ and 128 Go SSD + 1 To HDD.
As far as I can tell, the only differences are:
- The first one has a RAM of 8 Go, a graphics card of "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M - 6 Go GDDR5 SDRAM", and a price of €2286 = $2560 (it's cheaper by €588 = $659)
- The second one has a RAM of 16 Go, a graphics card of "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - 8 Go GDDR5 SDRAM", and a price of €2874 = $3219 (it's more expansive by €588 = $659)

And so my question is: Which one should I buy? The first one or the second one?

If you need to know some context and what I'm going to use this PC for:
I'm going to use this PC many many hours per day, maybe up to 14 hours per day when I'm on vacation.
I won't play any video games on it. But I will play a lot of chess (and some backgammon), and use powerful chess softwares for analyzing games.
I also often make some programs on MatLab and SharpDevelop.
Also an important note: I always have a few hundred tabs (sometimes even a thousand) constantly opened at the same time on Firefox (which makes it freeze and crash a lot). And many of those tabs are Youtube videos.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:48 PM

Omega Force quote:

"Also an important note: I always have a few hundred tabs (sometimes even a thousand) constantly opened at the same time on Firefox (which makes it freeze and crash a lot). And many of those tabs are Youtube videos."

I'm just curious, why would you ever have this many tabs open, especially youtube?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

Unless MATLAB or SharpDevelop can take advantage of the more powerful card by using it cores for computing go with the cheaper machine as the rest of you usage won't benefit from the better video card.

#4 Omega Force

Omega Force
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

I always have hundreds of tabs open on Firefox because most of the time I don't close the tabs that I don't need anymore just in case I need to go back to them in a day or two (and of course I always restore my previous session). But when the number of tabs become so big that it becomes impossible to navigate between them and that it makes Firefox crash each hour or so, then I make a big clean up and close every single one of my windows and tabs to start fresh.

Anyway, isn't the second MSI GT80 (the most expensive one) better for what I'm planning to do with it?
Because it has more RAM, and if I'm not mistaken having more RAM will help Firefox: Firefox will be able to handle hundred of tabs more easily and more solidly, and the big amount of RAM will make Firefox crash less often. A big amount of RAM might also benefit my chess softwares and my backgammon softwares.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

I don't think that video RAM is going to help Firefox at all.  While Firefox would benefit from more system RAM video RAM serves a different purpose and won't help.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

I think Kilroy he meant more system ram and not video ram and indeed more ram would help you ' keep more windows active'  Although I have to shake my head a bit on your computing practices it just seems a little weird.  That's what favorites are for LOL.

Anyway the first system would be fine if you simply added more ram ... the second system your paying for a better video card AND more ram.  You could get the first system and just add another 8GB of ram to it.  You can configure something like this at xoticpc.com

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

Both machines have 8GB system RAM.  The more expensive machine has more video RAM, which will do nothing for running programs.  As YeahBleeping said, using the money to upgrade to 16GB RAM would be a better investment.

#8 Omega Force

Omega Force
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

Both machines have 8GB system RAM.  The more expensive machine has more video RAM, which will do nothing for running programs.

Could you explain me where did you find this information?

I thought that the first one had 8 Go of system RAM, and the second one had 16 Go of system RAM.

If you look in my links, it says for the first one:

Mémoire RAM 8 Go ( 1 x 8 GB )

And for the second one:

Mémoire RAM 16 Go ( 2 x 8 Go )

(Note: "Mémoire" means "Memory".)

So correct me if I'm wrong but I would think that this means that the second one has twice as much system RAM than the first one: the first one has 8 Go, the second one has 16 Go.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

Sorry, must have opened the first one twice, you're right the less expensive machine has 8GB and the more expensive has 16GB.

Best guess, not 100% on the MSI model, but you should be able to upgrade the RAM from 8GB to 16GB for $62 US.  Much cheaper than the $650 difference.  I doubt going to the full 32GB would be a useful upgrade.  I've had 32GB in my machine since it was built and don't use much more than 8GB.  I play World of Warcraft on one screen, have Firefox on another, watch a movie from DVD or Bluray on a third and rip DVD to disk in the back ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users