Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How does temperature affect long term life of HDD. I'm sending a laptop to India

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 chrisarnt

chrisarnt

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

I'm sending a laptop to India and my associate wants a 1 TB hard drive in it.  

Does anyone see a problem with the heat and the large Hard Drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

Heat is a big problem for all electronics.  As the temp rises the 'system' works harder to provide the proper voltage.  They do make hard drive coolers.  Maybe you should send one of them along with it.

More coolers.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

The heat shouldn't  be an issue.  It may shorten the lift the the computer as a whole, but not a sufficient amount to worry about.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

I'm a little surprised by your claim that heat shouldn't be an issue.  In a climate where the average temp is sometimes is above 90 anything you can do to keep your system cooler is going to increase the lifespan of the system.  The hard drive is part of that system.  You even say it may shorten the lifetime of the system so your almost contradicting yourself in the same sentence.  I am guessing that all the datacenters around the US could save a lot of money by turning off their chillers and letting their datacenter temps go.  I am sure they would be happy to save on the elecricity.  However this seems like a good subject up for debate.. what do all you other bleepers think?

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:37 PM

There aren't a lot of options.  The size of the hard drive isn't going to change the amount of heat generated significantly.  Provided the computer can be used the size of the hard drive isn't going to make that big a difference.  Moving the machine around is more likely to shorten the life of the drive than the heat.

#6 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

I think what Kilroy is saying is that the slight increase in heat from a larger drive would be negligible at best. Likely there was a 5400 rpm mechanical drive in the laptop originally. Stick with a 5400 rpm 1TB replacement drive and you will be fine, as the 7200 rpm drives will definitely produce more heat. If you're really worried about the laptop temps. recommend this laptop cooler as well. The fans can be configured directly under the hot spots/intakes, and you don't loose a USB port while in use. I've recommended three of these coolers to clients and they love it.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#7 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

Thank you.  

That is a good reason not to spend more on a 7200 rpm. 

#8 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

I did a quick search for most reliable hard drives and an article I read states that HGST drives had the lowest failure rating in there tests followed by WD with seagate last. 

I've always done WD drives and then Samsung SSD. 

I'm looking at this HGST Travelstar 1TB 5,400 RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s 2.5"

H2IK1000854SP

It is what I need at the price I need. Does anyone have experience with Travelstar HGST?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:46 AM

HGST used to be Hitachi Global Storage Technologies before they were bought by Western Digital.  I put a Hitachi Travelstar hard drive in my old 60GB launch PlayStation 3 when I ran out of space many years ago.  The PS3 has ran without issue.  Well, the Blu-Ray drive has failed, but the hard drive continues to work well.

Fun fact:  HGST was formed when IBM and Hitachi merged their storage businesses.  Some of the really old IBM Deskstar drives from 2001 were known for their unusually high failure rate due to head crashes.  The issue was obviously fixed on newer drives.

3939.png

#10 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

I had a Dell ATG E6400 that kept freezing up when I opened too many images. Basically the CPU usage would go up to 100% and I would be forced to reboot. 

This was in an air conditioned office.

I noticed the fan  exhaust  was really hot.  

So, I redid the thermal paste on the video card with some arctic thermal paste.

It fixed the problem. I was pretty impressed with myself. I've had several people say that it shouldnt have made a difference, but it did. 

My associate is experiencing overheating problems.  

I suppose I should replace the thermal paste on the Dell E6400 I'm sending over. Incidentally it has the T9900 processor which I have always been really impressed with. 

What do y'all think about redoing the CPU and Video paste?

I'd clean the fan while I was at it. 

#11 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:34 AM

Any improvement from a reapplication of thermal paste will be directly related to the condition of the original paste. That being said, there is certainly no harm in performing the procedures, if nothing else, just to eliminate that as a possible cause of problems, should there be any after reassembly. Testing fans and blowing out the entire laptop with compressed air while it's apart is a no-brainer, too.

#12 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

So I'm doing the paste. It was built in 2009 so, I think its time. 

Question: Should I paste the GPU section of the heatsink?  

As it came from the factory there is no paste there, only a squishy pad. 

The gpu "squishy pad is top left. There is a depression on the pad from where it pressed against the gpu these past 6 years. 

Dell_E6400_CPU_Fan_Heatsink__75257.jpg

#13 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

Question: Should I paste the GPU section of the heatsink?

Yes.

Just be sure you clean the surfaces of the heatsink contact areas, and CPU and GPU contact areas.

The pads can be difficult to remove sometimes, but be diligent, and make sure ALL surfaces are completely free of the old pad/paste.

I use rubbing alcohol on a tissue for the final cleaning of all surfaces before applying the new thermal paste.

#14 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:12 PM

I just ran out of rubbing alcohol. 

I have... Gulp.... Acetone... But I have the GPU and the cpu clean... it shouldnt damage the heatsink. 

Nvermind. The thermal pad came of in one piece. 

Clean.  

THanks

#15 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

OK. I had to go heavy on the gpu contact because it is not bolted down. I didn't go to crazy. But the first go round  it didn't look right and when I pulled it off only half the gpu was in contact. 

Using arctic Silver Ceramique. 

Now its time for liquor and steak. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users