Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a new HDD. What is the best free system clone software?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chrisarnt

chrisarnt

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

I put a samsung SSD in a computer and it came with transfer software. It worked great, but it only works with the Samsung SSD. 

Now I want to add a 1TB HHD to another laptop, but I really don't want to reinstall and reupdate everything... 

Any advice good cloning software that is free?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

Most hard disk manufacturers have disk cloning software available either on their website or on a disk that comes with the hard drive.  Maybe check out the manufacture'ers website of the Hard drive you are installing.

#3 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

Thank you

#4 scottpon

scottpon

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

I heard that EaseUS has a pretty good cloning feature built in.  I have not tried but I'm going to try within the next month.  When I searched "Move Windows 7 to SSD" a few of the articles are recommending it for cloning.

I have also used Clonezilla, which uses a bootable CD to clone OS.  I have had some not work, but most of the time it does work.  I have not tried Windows 7.'

Hope that helps too.

#5 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

I just did this.

I bought a 120gb Samsung 850 pro SSD to replace a 500gb Toshiba HDD in my cheap Toshiba ($250) Satellitte laptop.

It was easy.  The Samsungs come with a migration software that clones everything to the new SSD.

All I had to purchase was a cheap external HD case to put my SSD in to clone.  Now I can put that Toshiba HDD from the laptop into the external HD case and use as an external HD.

#6 chrisarnt

chrisarnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

I've searched it look like Hitachi makes the best drives, but do not have a cloning software.

I bought a hitachi after reading about thier longterm reliability.

yes. That Samsung magician works great. I've used it three times, but it only works on Samsung SSDs.

it also has good optimization features.

Anyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users