Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD data restore?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hutchison.kim

hutchison.kim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

Hi,
I think my SSD is broken.
I am unable to boot into Windows.

Normal mode gets stuck at "Starting Windows",
while safe mode hangs after reading CLASSPNP.SYS.
Booting from a Windows CD also hangs after "Starting Windows".

The only way I am able to boot into any Windows is by unplugging the drive from its SATA.
By hot-plugging or using a USB adapter, I am able to have its drive letter show in "My Computer".
However any interaction, say attempting to explore the drive, errors in a connection timeout.

How can I restore the data that is on the drive?

Thanks,
Kim.

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard Revision : 0402
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1302

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : EVGA
*VGA Card Model : gtx470
*VGA Card Chipset : 012-p3-1470-ar
*VGA Card Driver : 8.17.12.9610

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : Intel
*CPU Type : i7-2600k
*CPU Speed : 3.40GHz

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : g.skill
*Memory Model : 4gx2 f3-12800cl7d-8gbxh
*Memory Capacity : 8.00GB

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor : crucial
HDD Model : ctfddac128mag-1g1.002
HDD Capacity : 128.00GB

*Operating System : Windows 7 64bit 

Edited by hutchison.kim, 05 May 2015 - 08:29 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hutchison.kim

hutchison.kim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

I have received an answer almost immediately from Crucial support:

The behavior you are describing is infrequently caused by TRIM commands not executing on the drive (which may result from lots of writing and rewriting, especially OS installs, not done on the OS level). The accumulation of 'junk' data from file deletions, even reformats, basically clogs up the drive and reduces or sometimes even halts performance and can even dismount the drive. A secondary feature called Garbage Collection activates when the drive is powered, but has no data throughput, for an extended period, and does background cleanup on our SSDs which can make up for the lack of TRIM.

If this is the cause of your drive's behavior, a period of idling the drive without any data being written or read actively will improve its performance. We recommend you perform this idle period on a desktop computer because it allows you to only connect the SATA power connection. However, a USB enclosure with an external power source will also work. A laptop computer will also work, but you’ll have to connect the drive and navigate to the systems BIOS menu. (Please refer to your system manufacturer’s documentation on how to access the BIOS.)

For laptops, we don’t recommended using a USB enclosure powered via USB; dedicated AC power is preferable. In addition, Apple users must hold the Option key while they power on the system (with the SSD installed). This will boot the Mac to the Startup Manager screen. The Startup Manager screen works like the BIOS screen on a laptop, in that it gives the drive power without any data throughput. An alternative Apple method is to close all open programs (including background processes) after startup and idle on your desktop. Just power the drive and let it sit, preferably overnight, but even a few hours should improve performance if this is the cause of your drive's erratic performance, though full Garbage Collection takes 8-24 hours and should be resumed when you can be without that system for an extended period.

If partition corruption is the cause of that, the data may not be accessible anymore. Are you able to attempt a reformat to try to resolve that, or does it also result in errors?

I have unplugged the SATA cable and left only the SATA power cable and am letting it sit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users