Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Radeon 6870 and two monitors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

I have an AMD Radeon 6870 graphics card. It has 2 DVI ports and I have 2 monitors. One monitor only has VGA port so I had to use a DVI adapter to connect it to my Radeon 6870 DVI port. It works fine if I have it connected in the first port. But when I connect a monitor to the 2nd DVI port, nothing is detected. 

Both monitors right now use VGA port (on the monitor) with a DVI adapter to plug into the graphics card but I can only get one of them to work at a time, not both. Right now I'm using HDMI to HDMI on the 2nd monitor since the 2nd DVI port isn't working or isn't detected but the HDMI cable is definitely giving blurry text (some areas of the monitor is clearer than the other).

Does anyone know why I can't get both DVI ports to detect my monitors but only one does? Is there some setting I need to enable for it to use both DVI ports?

In summary:

monitor A has only VGA out port so I use a DVI adapter
monitor B has both VGA and DVI out, but I use the VGA out with another DVI adapter

graphics card has only 2 DVI input ports, HDMI, and NO VGA, so I have to use 2 DVI adapters
to plug into the graphics card but only the first DVI port works and the 2nd one never detects anything or can't be found in my Catalyst control center or windows 7 screen resolution settings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

After much reading and trying to understand dual monitors and (being thankful I cannot afford dual monitors because it seems like a real headache) ...

According to the web and the manual the second DVI-Port on the card is a DVI-D connector and does not transfer Analog signals.  You would need an active DVI-D to VGA adapter.  To use the second DVI port on the card. 

PS after reading all about this card it was making my eyes bleed I feel like I should buy one ... NOT ... LOL - seriously though you would think AMD would make this a lot easier but I guess they figure anyone with a dual display is going to buy either a new monitor with HDMI or one with a displayport.  And not two older monitors with VGA only.

#3 Dallas Jack

Dallas Jack

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

As YeahBleeping said the second DVI port does not carry an analog signal. Look at the DVI ports on monitor B and your video card and get the correct DVI cable. This will give you the digital signal that your video card supplies. I have no idea why the HDMI is not working properly for you. It should be as good or better that a DVI connection. Perhaps you need to calibrate the monitor. 

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:49 PM

Thanks DallasJack and YeahBleeping.  I guess I'll have to see if I can buy that adapter piece or just a new graphics card (basic one).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users