Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Win7 Boot Drive to a New System

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lobstarr

lobstarr

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

Hello,

I was wondering how it would be possible to switch my boot drive into a new system. I wasn't able use System Prep obviously since the components died on me. Is there anything I can do? A workaround?

Otherwise,If I reinstall Win7 on the drive will my data still be intact?

Edited by lobstarr, 04 May 2015 - 10:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

It would help if you were to post the make and model of this computer, or if it is a custom build which you have the installation disc for.

Unfortunately, if you go ahead and install the drive in another system, but there are identifiers in the chipset which can effectively confuse Windows enough that it will fail to start.  Even if it does start there is a very good chance that the operating system will start having problem which could escalate to the point that it fails and will require a fresh installation of Windows. 

If you do a fresh install of Windows the HDD/SSD will be formatted, this will remove all of the content of the drive.

You can connect the HDD/SSD to another computer to harvest whatever data you don't already have backed up on removable media.  You should do this first.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lobstarr

lobstarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:25 PM

It would help if you were to post the make and model of this computer, or if it is a custom build which you have the installation disc for.

Unfortunately, if you go ahead and install the drive in another system, but there are identifiers in the chipset which can effectively confuse Windows enough that it will fail to start.  Even if it does start there is a very good chance that the operating system will start having problem which could escalate to the point that it fails and will require a fresh installation of Windows. 

If you do a fresh install of Windows the HDD/SSD will be formatted, this will remove all of the content of the drive.

You can connect the HDD/SSD to another computer to harvest whatever data you don't already have backed up on removable media.  You should do this first.

Sorry about that. It was a custom build

Win 7 x64 Pro.

EVGA X58 > EVGA Z97 FTW

i7 > i5 4690K

I'll probably just go ahead and install Win7 on another drive and access my data that way. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

That will work.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users