Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mini Acer and LXLE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

I have an almost unused five year old mini Acer, it has an 8G ssd and 1G ram.  Just for giggles Last winter I loaded Win 7 home, much to my surprise it ran fairly well.  Been thinking about loading Linux on it for quite awhile, I will need to format it then load Linux any tips will be appreciated.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hi Phil,

Does it have a HDD in addition to the 8G SSD?

Edited by Al1000, 04 May 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

No HD this was Aser's original mini, only the 8G ssd so it does on have much space.  1.6 Celeron, 1G ram the usage will be very light, browsing, on system time killer games.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

LXLE is lightweight, but not small. The operating system and the software that comes with it would take up most of the space on your SSD.

A better option would be Lubuntu which is both lightweight and small, or Puppy which is lightweight and very small.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

According to the documentation, LXLE requires a minimum of 8GB of HDD (or SSD) space:

http://wiki.lxle.net/doku.php/requirements

Whereas Lubuntu, on which LXLE is based, requires only 3GB of space:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

Also, 5 years old is not particularly old in terms of "older hardware" that LXLE was designed for.

#6 mrwislr

mrwislr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

According to the documentation, LXLE requires a minimum of 8GB of HDD (or SSD) space:

http://wiki.lxle.net/doku.php/requirements

Whereas Lubuntu, on which LXLE is based, requires only 3GB of space:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

Also, 5 years old is not particularly old in terms of "older hardware" that LXLE was designed for.

Can you show me where it says that '5 years old' is what LXLE was designed for?

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

No HD this was Aser's original mini, only the 8G ssd so it does on have much space.  1.6 Celeron, 1G ram the usage will be very light, browsing, on system time killer games.

OldPhil, do you know about distrowatch, here is the link to the article on LXLE in case you are interested: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20130909#feature

I love LXLE but it's all about what your needs are with this pc I guess, and how much space will be available after it's installed, which I don't know.  That would be a good question, how much space for more programs and documents can be stored once LXLE is in place?  Even though there are other options for storage it's nice to have it on the pc imo.

Please take Al000's advice over mine, he is way more knowledgeable that I, and there are many other options as Al said like puppy, especially Tahrpup 6.0.   

Maybe this is another option though, as I am a big fan of Mint.  Here is their 13 version list, and it only requires 5gb of drive space.  http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=18  And this one would be my favorite as the graphics and configurability is good: KDE 13

I'm curious as to weather you could run some of these Live via. usb to see which one you like before you install, do you know about this option-running Live?  

I am sure you don't have a Optical drive, can you boot from usb port on that laptop?

PS I don't know anything about SSD's but I remember someone stating that you don't want to fill up the whole drive to prolong the drive life, but, I guess as cheap as they are and as small as that one is perhaps it's not to worry about.  Also, if you install linux I don't think you need to Format the drive, that  will be done during the linux install, with the installer.  

Cheers pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 04 May 2015 - 04:16 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

Can you show me where it says that '5 years old' is what LXLE was designed for?

Hi mrwisir,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. I didn't say that LXLE is designed for 5 year old hardware. The point I was making is that LXLE is primarily designed for hardware that is older than 5 years old.

In other words, 5 year old hardware should be perfectly capable of running Linux distros that are not designed for older hardware.

The hardware in my desktop pc which happily runs Kubuntu 14.04 or any other Ubuntu-based 14.04 distro, is 7 - 8 years old.

Edited by Al1000, 04 May 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

Puppy which is lightweight and very small.

I don't know if puppy supports trim. It may do with a newer kernel.

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:06 AM

I don't know if puppy supports trim. It may do with a newer kernel.

That's a good point, although there are ways to prevent Puppy from writing to whatever storage media it's on. I have a Puppy save file on USB in which I changed the save option in Puppy Event Manager to 0 and edited the rc.shutdown file, and it only writes to USB when I tell it to. Apparently the same is possible with a frugal installation using Grub4Dos boot manager by changing one of the boot parameters in the menu.lst file.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81911

That said, Lubuntu would certainly be an easier and IMO, better option.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

Any reason not to use Mint 13? it's a bit bigger but way more features.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

with only 1gb ram it limits greatly what will run then allow for what work ok with SSD,   then go for a bare bones install  and then install any lightweight progs you really need afterwards..

Maybe look at an Openbox, fluxbox, or icewm type  rather than a DE. as openbox with a light browser + 3 tabs can get you up past 600mb ram... FF or Chrome will probably push that even higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users