Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's built ! Sequence of installing/updating drivers?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

Finaly got the computer built over the weekend.  Now I just need to install all the drivers, right?

Windows 7 has been installed.  But I have not done any of the updates. I did an update search and it looks like there is something like 180 updates?  Wow.  But that makes sense considering how old it is.

Is there any ideal or specific order to install all the updated drivers?

Here is the sequence that I thought / safest way that made sense to me.  Please correct me.

1.  Update all windows 7 180+ updates

2.  Install K.P. anti virus software and all updates

3.  Update all MOBO ( Gigabyte Z97X gaming 3 drivers ).  After indows was installed I was not able to get any internet connect.  So I installed the install CD that came with my MOBO.  Then I had a connection to the internet.  I assume there are updates though for this MOBO.

4.  MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G:  Install updated drivers?   Do I just go to the website for the updated drivers?  I think this came with a CD?  If yes it did would it be better off to install the CD then update drivers?  Or would I be better just going to the website and install everything from there?

Is that all?

Are there updates or anything I need to do to the following?

1. LG optical BLu-Ray drive

2.  Rosewill card reader

3.  Kingwin FPX-003 fan controller?

4.  HGST 4tb HDD

5.  Samsung 850 pro 500gb SSD

I assume there is nothing to do with these...?

Thank you for your help

Corsair 760T

Corsair 140 and 120mm fans  ( SP and AF )

Corsair 750w HS PSU

Intal i7 4790k  CPU

Gigabyte Z97x gaming 3 MOBO

HGST 4tb 7200rpm HDD ( for storage of files )

Samsung 850 pro 500gb SSD ( for O.S and programs )

LG Blu-Ray optical drive

Rosewill card reader

Kingwin FPX-003 card reader

Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler.heatsing

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Ice Modz custom colored cable

* I think thats everything?

And when getting all these updated drivers.  Is it best to install directly from the internet onto this computer?  Or is there any advantage to using my other computer and installing on a flash reader then installing on this new computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

Oh yeah.... I swapped my OEM HDD to a Samsung 850 pro SSD uin my Toshiba laptop.  WOW!  Only takes 7 seconds to have computer up and running.  And 3 seconds to shutdown!   I just wonder if my MOBO or CPU is bottle necking the full potential of my SSD.  This was a $250 best buy special laptop.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

This is the way I would proceed in:
  • Install every Windows Updates: And once you have installed them, check manually (click on "Check for updates") if more are found. I guarantee you that there will. Also, leave out the "drivers" update, install them straight from the manufacturer website;
  • Install your Antivirus program (since you'll go on the Internet after, you need to be protected);
  • No need to update all your drivers at all, only the important ones (graphic card basically) and the ones you don't have installed yet;
  • I would go on the device manufacturer website for the drivers (Gigabyte for the motherboard, and NVIDIA for the graphic card);
If you don't know what drivers you're missing, and/or where to get it from, simply tell me and I'll help you get them.

Edited by Aura., 04 May 2015 - 09:52 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

Thank you very much.  This was very useful.

This is the way I would proceed in:

• Install every Windows Updates: And once you have installed them, check manually (click on "Check for updates") if more are found. I guarantee you that there will. Also, leave out the "drivers" update, install them straight from the manufacturer website;
  • Install your Antivirus program (since you'll go on the Internet after, you need to be protected);
  • No need to update all your drivers at all, only the important ones (graphic card basically) and the ones you don't have installed yet;
  • I would go on the device manufacturer website for the drivers (Gigabyte for the motherboard, and NVIDIA for the graphic card);
If you don't know what drivers you're missing, and/or where to get it from, simply tell me and I'll help you get them.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

No problem frldyz, keep me updated :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4966&dl=1&RWD=0#driverIs this where I download my MOBO drivers?
I assume I download each item? All 12?  Under download here:  I click America?
Aura., on 04 May 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

No problem frldyz, keep me updated :)

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

You don't need to quote me if I'm the only other user that replied in your thread :) Yes, this is the right download page for your motherboard. And for the drivers you need to download, let me tell you which ones you need. Follow the instructions below.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

Generation of a new system can be tedious and aborting is always an option.  First, should be the OS, whatever flavor.  Second should be any special drivers that are needed to get all the peripherals running.  I like to have an ISP connected an let Windows search for the proper drivers..Skip the mfgrs sites for now.  Now the ISP special programs including any free anti-whatever suites of programs.  Then, finally the OS up dates, they will be lengthy and the anti-? will  insure the best results.  Any other peripherals that need to be installed, hardware and software can cause strange faults or failure to detect hardware or drivers faulting upon install.  Sometimes a sequence needs to be tried over and over before all things play nice together.

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

I am going to have to disagree with the suggested order of installation but hopefully you have already completed the process with no issues.  Here is my reasoning.  Many MB manufacturers have specific chipset drivers for their hardware.  These drivers dictate how the system ' talks ' to the rest of the system. I would always install the Motherboards chipset / network.. and whatever else drivers first.

Then reboot download all of windows updates.

Then install the anti virus and malware software

Then create a system restore point and a system recovery disc.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 04 May 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

The only case I'm aware of the chipset being an issue, is if you don't have the Intel Rapid Storage Controller drivers installed when you try to install .NET Framework 4. Without them, the installation will fail. Other than that, the chipset drivers are usually installed by default since Windows gets them via Windows Updates.

unite_blue.png

#11 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

Wow.  So many conflicting approaches.

Aura:  When I download all these drivers.  Iassume I want to download them onto my 500gb SSD.  The 500gb SSD will only be used for running programs.  Not files.  All storage files such as songs, pictures and videos will stored on my HDD.

When I download and save these on my SSD should I just create a new folder in my SSd and save all the components drivers  in that folder.

-------------------------------

Yeahbleeping:  I have not done anything yet.  I have a hectic work schedule and with my wife working opposite shifts as me and a toddler, finding time and having the ambition/energy to do this is limited.  Am I lazy...? Probally.   I will try to get it done sometime this week.  But it will be tough.  I still havent reconnected everything.  I was out of town with everything for the build.  And everything is still sitting in the corner of the office.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

You can download the drivers where ever you want it doesn't make a difference. They'll still be installed on the Windows drive. You can delete their setup executable once you're done installing them.

unite_blue.png

#13 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

Aura:  after everything is downloaded and installed I can safely delete everything that got downloaded?  I dont need to keep anything?

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

Like you've seen, there are many approaches to this process.  My approach is with a "happy" machine, the BIOS sees all appropriate hardware and would boot if there was "good" info on the hard drive.  A blank drive or one that is already loaded with whatever OS, the system disk will ask the questions pertaining to formatting the drive and recommended partitions.  A drive with an OS already loaded can be "repaired" with the appropriate OS disk, this will look at any changes made in hardware and update the BIOS to reflect those changes, searching  the disk for the drivers.  Anything you download in the way of driver files should be put in a folder that can be found later if needed.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:20 PM

Yes you can safely delete these installers, they aren't needed anymore. If you need them, you can go download them again and who knows, maybe there will be an updated version that will have come out meanwhile.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users