Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 computer suddenly slow to get on internet, slow to browse websites etc

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

#1 flywelder

flywelder

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

Hi The computer  that is slow is a desk top tower. In a home.  it is a E machine.

it has windows 7  professional  with service pack 1

DO KNOW :  I am very new to windows 7 and all it's features. 

When I brought this computer home  last Nov. it was lightening fast at everything! so much better than  the windows XP  it replaced, I was thrilled.  yet Now starting in  April 2015  it is as slow  or slower  as my old Windows with XP ever was  ( and partially the reason for saving my  pennies to get this windows 7 computer)...and  now I'm upset. feeling  like I have been taken.

Computer displays the following :

3.8 windows experience index

Intel pentium dual 2.0Ghz  processor 

64 Bit

Has Ccleaner installed

has Comodo antivirus and Comodo cleaning essentials installed.

All virus scans  find no infections,  and report that all is well and protected.  ( B/C of the way the computer is operating i'm doubting that and betting there is an infections of some sort)

I Have run Comodo cleaning essentials and  results find no abnormalities or infections.

Have run TFC and JRT  and the computer shows no signs of improvement.

have run rKill  and it  finds  no abnormalities  or infections.

All virus scan results  find no infections.

Windows updates is activated  and  all latest updates have been installed. 

maybe there is no infections or key logging...but what then is causing the slow loading of web pages and slow to get online, when i was not experiencing this when I brought the computer home?

I am paying for internet speed  that is just under road runner speed. 

maybe some virus program is  doing too much scanning when i click to get online? ???...I'm grabbing at straws..I have no clue. that's why I am posting here...to get help. 

What medicine do you recommend?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

Hi flywelder :)

Maybe we aren't looking at an infection here. There's tons of reasons why a system can slow down, and not all of them are malware related. Let's try to take a look at this issue under another angle shall we?

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
    • List Devices - Only Problems;
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size;
      wNeKMCX.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hello Aura,  thanks for taking on my issue.   Below are the results of the scan.  and I await your next instructions.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 14-04-2015
Ran by owner (administrator) on 04-05-2015 at 16:22:29
Running from "C:\Users\owner\Downloads\Malware fighting programs"
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (X64)
Model:  Manufacturer: 
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ================================

Could not start eventlog service, could not read events.

System error 123 has occurred.

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

=========================== Installed Programs ============================
Adobe Flash Player 17 ActiveX (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe Flash Player ActiveX) (Version: 17.0.0.169 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Reader XI (11.0.10) (HKLM-x32\...\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AB0000000001}) (Version: 11.0.10 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Refresh Manager (x32 Version: 1.8.0 - Adobe Systems Incorporated) Hidden
Adobe Shockwave Player 12.1 (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe Shockwave Player) (Version: 12.1.6.156 - Adobe Systems, Inc.)
Amazon Kindle (HKCU\...\Amazon Kindle) (Version:  - Amazon)
Avast Free Antivirus (HKLM-x32\...\Avast) (Version: 10.2.2215 - AVAST Software)
CCleaner (HKLM\...\CCleaner) (Version: 5.04 - Piriform)
Chromodo (HKLM-x32\...\Chromodo) (Version: 36.7.0.8 - Comodo)
COMODO Antivirus (HKLM\...\{73830292-868E-4C82-9AF5-CCFE2047B6A3}) (Version: 8.2.0.4508 - COMODO Security Solutions Inc.)
Defraggler (HKLM\...\Defraggler) (Version: 2.18 - Piriform)
GeekBuddy (HKLM\...\{266FA04F-F0FA-4F7A-AA1E-387A57F579F2}) (Version: 4.19.131 - Comodo Security Solutions Inc)
Glary Utilities 5.21 (HKLM-x32\...\Glary Utilities 5) (Version: 5.21.0.40 - Glarysoft Ltd)
Google Chrome (HKLM-x32\...\Google Chrome) (Version: 42.0.2311.135 - Google Inc.)
Google Update Helper (x32 Version: 1.3.25.11 - Google Inc.) Hidden
Google Update Helper (x32 Version: 1.3.26.9 - Google Inc.) Hidden
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (HKLM\...\HDMI) (Version: 8.15.10.1930 - Intel Corporation)
LSI PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem (HKLM\...\LSI Soft Modem) (Version: 2.2.98 - LSI Corporation)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.1.6.1022 (HKLM-x32\...\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware_is1) (Version: 2.1.6.1022 - Malwarebytes Corporation)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (HKLM\...\{92FB6C44-E685-45AD-9B20-CADF4CABA132} - 1033) (Version: 4.5.51209 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (Version: 4.5.51209 - Microsoft Corporation) Hidden
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 (HKLM\...\{5FCE6D76-F5DC-37AB-B2B8-22AB8CEDB1D4}) (Version: 9.0.30729.6161 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (HKLM-x32\...\{9BE518E6-ECC6-35A9-88E4-87755C07200F}) (Version: 9.0.30729.6161 - Microsoft Corporation)
OpenOffice 4.1.0 (HKLM-x32\...\{C87EF11D-36E9-479D-9898-7541EA1E8A6A}) (Version: 4.10.9764 - Apache Software Foundation)
Recuva (HKLM\...\Recuva) (Version: 1.51 - Piriform)
swMSM (x32 Version: 12.0.0.1 - Adobe Systems, Inc) Hidden
VLC media player (HKLM-x32\...\VLC media player) (Version: 2.1.5 - VideoLAN)

=========================
Windows Management Instrumentation service is not running. Could not scan devices
=========================

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 71%
Total physical RAM: 2047.55 MB
Available physical RAM: 585.18 MB
Total Pagefile: 4182.64 MB
Available Pagefile: 1537.98 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3982.2 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:297.99 GB) (Free:270.5 GB) NTFS
7 Drive i: () (Removable) (Total:1.88 GB) (Free:1.52 GB) FAT

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\OWNER-PC

Administrator            Guest                    owner                    

**** End of log ****

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

FWIW:  http://www.nonabyte.net/system-error-123-has-occurred-in-windows-7/

Louis

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

You are currently using two Antivirus programs, which you should never do. Using more than Antivirus program at the time on a system can cause system instability and conflicts. Slowness/slugginess is one of them. I suggest you to uninstall one Antivirus (avast! or COMODO) and keep the other one.

On a side note, you should read the article below by quietman, one of our Microsoft MVP on BleepingComputer. Pay a special attention to the "IMPORTANT NOTE" at the end of the article, this explains your situation.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Edited by Aura., 04 May 2015 - 04:13 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

Aura , ok so I read that lengthy article. I understand  I think  most of it. Yet I am still some what in the fog. Please help.....I now  understand  the issue of two anti virus programs.  I will choose one soon.   yet i want to share that  the computer first had Avast loaded and active when the slow  or sluggish performance  appeared.     So I installed  comodo antivirus and turned off Avast  so that comodo could run its scans uneffected. But  like Avast,   comodo also found no infections.

So I question that  in my case,  the two antivirus programs would be the root cause of the sluggishness?...still I will choose just one.  But I would  like to hear from you  on this please.

The article also spoke about  two firewalls.   But I can't find but only one fire wall active, and that is windows firewall.   Did you see something contrary to that in the report from mini toolbox?..and where is the other active firewall located?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Even there, keeping two Antivirus at once will not help solve this issue. So I still stand by my suggestion to uninstall one and keep the other. And if you're using avast! or COMODO, I don't see any of their firewall installed, so the Windows Firewall is the one running right now.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

Ok..  so i am  still in the fog....help me still please.   SO   just so I am clear and on the same page as you,  what you  hoped I would gleam from the  article is:  

just not to have two antivirus programs installed..  and  not for me to think  that I also had two firewalls running? 

2nd)   what do I do concerning the 123 error that was reported and  louis  speaks of  ??

and I want to share that when i click on the link in Louis's post   I am taken to a page  to download a program called  : reimagerepair .   Is this the program that repairs  the 123 error??....for the name itself doesn't  say anything  about 123 repairing???? 

and   worse yet, could  i have been redirected or  hyjacked!!???

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

To sum it up: never have more than one Antivirus and one Firewall installed and running on a system. It can't be put in much simpler terms than that.

And we'll take care of that error as soon as you uninstall one of your Antivirus. Also, do not download Reimage Repair, it's one of these "PC Booster" programs and "Registry Cleaners" that aren't worth using. If you are being redirected, I can take care of this as well.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

Ok.  I understand  clearly now,  and Im feeling much more at ease now.  :))   Thank you!   

yes  when I click on  the link he provides I am taken to a web site  that  is all about reimage repair.

well it is late now  ...so how about i  get back to you tomarrow and I'll have choosen a  antivirus by then and we can continue.   :))

night.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:22 PM

All fine with me. I'm going to bed now so I'll check back tomorrow with further instructions!

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hi,   I uninstalled comodo  using just  avast now.  

no improvement though.   Still Takes up to  a minute  and at times  a minute and 40 sec.  to  get online and to change from one web page to another. 

What is our next move?   :)

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

First follow the set of instructions below.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • Flush DNS;
    • Report IE Proxy Settings;
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings;
    • Report FF Proxy Settings;
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings;
    • List content of Hosts;
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;
Second, go on SpeedTest.net and take the test. Then, grab the link to share the results on a forum, copy/paste it in your next reply as well.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#14 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

4341168004.png

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 14-04-2015
Ran by owner (administrator) on 06-05-2015 at 09:49:53
Running from "C:\Users\owner\Downloads\Malware fighting programs"
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Model: T5274a Manufacturer: Gateway
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Flush DNS: ===================================

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

========================= IE Proxy Settings: ============================== 

Proxy is not enabled.
No Proxy Server is set.

"Reset IE Proxy Settings": IE Proxy Settings were reset.
========================= Hosts content: =================================

**** End of log ****

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

Looks like there's nothing wrong with your connection speeds. Is it slow in both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer? Also, follow the instructions below.
  • Press on Win Key + R and enter services.msc, then press on Enter;
  • In the list, look for Windows Event Log. Right-click on it and select Properties;
  • Is the Service started or stopped? Also, what is it's Startup type: Automatic, Automatic (Delayed), Manual or Disabled?;

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users