Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Stability

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Good afternoon. I'm looking for closure on whether my CPU is stable or I should just simply get t replaced, which is easily an option.

I recently purchased a new build with an AMD FX 8350. I had it running with the stock heat sink for a few days before receiving my water loop which I installed this weekend. During the uninstall process though, I ripped the cpu out with the heat sink and bent 3 pins, I successfully corrected the pins and installed the water loop to a good working computer. Me being concerned about my cpu performance though, I ran Prime95 for about 4 hours and received 1 hardware failure or error in the process. Then I ran a burn in test by Sandra SiSoftware but is hard to say was successful or anything because I'm not sure how to check the results, I ran it for about an hour. It seemed to be more stressful on my computer than Prime95, making it almost unusable the whole time. But all in all, I never had any crashes or bad issues even if I didn't run them both that long but I'm still a bit concerned if I should just simply get the cpu replaced and possibly my motherboard as well.

Also, another reason I'm concerned is because there are few things within my computer that are sketchy and I'm not sure were there before the recent upgrade. For example, I have errors in my Task Scheduler and a couple other system/administrative programs and throughout the weekend, the system froze a few times for a good few seconds while simply going through files and non-stressful tasks. Would this mainly be operating system related and should I just try reinstalling windows?

Like I said, just looking for some closure because my build is pretty costly for me and don't want to settle with a defective component. The errors in my operating system could just be the root of my paranoia though. Thanks guys.

P.S. I don't game or video edit.

Edited by Slim Nelson, 03 May 2015 - 05:43 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

OCCT is pretty good for CPU diagnostics and testing.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

Off the cuff, I would say that you are in pretty good shape. In the majority of cases, if there is something wrong with the CPU you won't boot at all, possibly not even power up. The freezes are probably due to some other software interfering.  If you haven't got  a lot of programs installed yet, I suggest you reinstall Windows from the ground up. I guess I don't have to remind you to install the mainboard drivers, that is really critical to system function.

SiSoft Sandra does really work the bejabbers out of the CPU (I use it myself) so if there was a problem I suspect that would cause it to be known.

Run Prime95 again and see if you still get the error message. Did it refer you to any particular item?

Another option is to tear everything out and reinstall, excluding the CPU, (I know, I know, what a pain!) following this general guide; if there is a problem with anything you will discover it. Anyway, it might be an interesting read even if you don't want to do it.

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

I think I'm going to just get a replacement. I bought it through Amazon and they are really good with returns. Afterall, it's not completely my fault, there was so much preapplied thermal paste that it was seeping out the sides.

I'm running OCCT right now TsVk. So far so good, I like this program more than Prime95 already and especially more than Sandra. This is the only test that is keeping my cores non-stop maxed out at 100%.

Prime95 only maxed out 7 cores while keeping #2 at around 0% then eventually dropped #8 and #7 down too. By the end of the 4 hour test, only 5 cores were maxed out.

Sandra ran them all at 100% but fluctuated a lot.

Ranchhand, I believe the hardware failure or error was on one of the workers that dropped down from 100%, either core 2, 7, or 8. It didn't state anything other than hardware failure, 1 error detected. According to Prime95's documentation, it could be either cpu overheating, ram, or psu. I'd rule out cpu overheating because I got a custom xspc water loop going. I don't know much about ram other than it works in my system and my psu is a tier 2 quality psu according to Tom's Hardware. 520w.

That hardware troubleshooting guide you recommended looks very informational and when I replace my cpu, I might as well follow that guide during the install since I'll be under the hood anyway.

Lastly, do you think my motherboard could not be stable?

UPDATE: My OCCT test finished TsVk. Everything seems to have ran fine. All 8 cores were maxed out the whole time. System still functioned good too. Here are the results: http://postimg.org/gallery/pbr3p7pe/

Edited by Slim Nelson, 03 May 2015 - 09:05 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

Hey Slim....sounds like you got a pretty good handle on the situation. As far as the mainboard goes, that is the single most difficult item to troubleshoot. The only way to really determine the mobo is to eliminate everything else as a problem. That basically is what a bench build does. With a new CPU, you have eliminated the 2nd most difficult thing to diagnose. Good luck on the return.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:17 AM

Hey, just an update on the situation. It hasn't really gone according to plan.

So I received my new cpu yesterday and installed it right away. Everything seemed to work good until I got a BSOD after about 5 minutes. So instantly, I was thinking oh great, I was trying to replace my current cpu which passed most stress tests just to make sure the bent pins weren't limiting performance and now this supposedly brand new cpu possibly actually has defects. After automatic reboot, I ran OCCT and it froze within a minute... I thought it could maybe be the thermal paste so I reapplied that on the new cpu then reran OCCT but this time, the computer didn't even freeze, it just rebooted instantly after about that minute... From my knowledge, the only conclusion I could come up with was that the cpu was possibly overheating so once again, I tried reappling the thermal paste then running OCCT afterwards but no luck. So finally I said screw it and went back to original good working cpu then ran OCCT but unfortunately the test froze with this cpu as well... Now I was very concerned.

I was thinking it could maybe be my motherboard after all, but then i started to believe that it had to do with the fan controller that I hooked up on Wednesday, the day prior. I had all the fans plugged into it including the cpu fan. I didn't think it would be a problem as long as I ran all the fans on full tilt, dumb... So of course, I plugged all the fans back into the motherboard.

Well, by this time yesterday, it was already late and I had to call it a night. Today after work, I plan on running OCCT on the original setup and then will have to hope for the best.

Do you think I could have possibly damaged both these processors now..?

If the original setup proves to be working again, would it worth trying an OCCT test on the new cpu since I will have all the fans plugged into the motherboard this time?

In regards to that BSOD on the new cpu, would that easily rule the new cpu being defective? Or could that be just because of the hardware switch? (even though both processors are same)

Hulk_Tag.png

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

Well, we are shooting opinions and guesses all over the place here. The only way I have found is a methodical, step-by-step process of elimination until you find the culprit. The fact that you have tried two processors with the same problem-results would indicate that the CPU is not the problem. I assume that you know the proper way to apply thermal grease; if the stuff is running down the sides of the mounting wafer that is not good (as you said in post #4). Again, the step-by-step bench-build process starting with the basic components and testing each one as you go is what you are going to have to do (as I posted above). It could be your memory, a hard drive going bad, conflicting drivers, or a bad motherboard (I have seen plenty in my time) or something off the wall that we would never guess.

We can go through the testing process, but it is lengthy and involved, it's better to just test with a bench-build if possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users