Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Linux question.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

Hi everybody,

I have another general Linux question.  I am not having a problem so it’s more a question of curiosity.

I am still running Mint 17.1 (MATE) from a USB stick and it works perfectly.  I absolutely love it and I intend to permanently install it (dual boot) after I am completely convinced that is the distro I want.  However, every time I shut down Linux (properly) and boot back into Windows (XP), Windows does a Check Disk on the USB drive.  Windows never finds any problems, so I am wondering what is triggering the Check Disk.  Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.  :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

I have seen that happen as well..

i have all ways thought it is due to having a different filesystem...i.e  windows being NTFS and linux being 1 of many like Fat32, ext4, etc etc...and it sees it as being broken or similar...

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

Any reason not to remove the drive before booting into XP? That's what I do but I don't have a need to frequently boot into an external drive.

Edited by buddy215, 03 May 2015 - 05:13 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

MalwareMutilator, After looking at some of your posts I thought I would mention, that it is advisable to use a 32bit distro with 2gb of RAM or less, even with 64bit processor.  Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong, this is just what I have learned here on B.C.com.    Don't know how much it matters but thought I would mention it.

Is this your HP laptop?

Also, MM- how did you install your Mate with Unetbootin, or with a full install to usb.  If you went with Unetbootin how and where are you saving files too.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

Windows (XP), Windows does a Check Disk on the USB drive.

That is a Windows setting that is causing that, If I remember right, When you open disk properties, There is an option to defragment the disk and check the disk for errors, If you click the box it will tell you that check disk will be performed next start up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users