Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't send .pdf attachment from desktop - can from laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZeldaB

ZeldaB

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

When I attach .pdf files to email on my desktop, I am (at least some of the time) getting the message that the .pdf file is open/in use. (It's not.) 

The first time it happened, some months ago, I managed to resolve the problem and successfully send the attachment by turning off the computer, rebooting, and then sending the same attachment. The last couple of times I've tried that (I usually have to do this once a month), it did not work. Even after shutting down the computer completely, reopening, going directly to the email program (AOL) without opening the .pdf file before hand, still got the same message saying the .pdf file was in use.

I can copy the very same .pdf file to a flash drive, put it on my laptop (also an XP system, slightly newer, but not "new" by any set of standards), and send it via AOL, consistently. So I gather it's not AOL, and it's not a corrupt or over-sized .pdf file.

Any suggestions? (Besides "Go buy a new computer," please. Funds are not readily available. Though I would be open to wiping the drive and replacing with a better OS, if my hardware would support that. And I'm quite open to being told how to figure that out -- in kind of slow and simple terms, appropriate for a long-time computer user who's been a bit lost since we switched from DOS to Windows.)

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

I would be open to wiping the drive and replacing with a better OS, if my hardware would support that.

Hi,

There are many Linux operating systems that your hardware is likely to support. Modern Linux operating systems are just as easy, if not easier to use, in comparison to XP. Some are even designed to look like XP.

We would be delighted to help you decide which one might be most suitable for you and your hardware in the Linux forum.

Here's a template that was designed for this very purpose:

[Post Template] What Distribution/Flavor of Linux Should I Use?

I've certainly never had any problems using .pdf documents with Linux.

The only thing that Linux doesn't do well is run Windows software. So if there are Windows programs that you use for which there are no suitable Linux alternatives, another option is to dual-boot XP and Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users