Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Reinstalling Windows, Duplicate Files & Erroneous TagsEverywhere

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richfed52

richfed52

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

OK - I am using Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64 bit

I just completed a reformatting and new installation of Windows on my system. Between Windows sync feature and my File History [on a second hard drive], I now have many files in My Library with a (2015_03_05 11_22_48 UTC) (2015_03_29 07_24_21 UTC) added to the extension. That's in Pictures, Videos, etc.

All my IE 11 Favorites - hundreds of them - are duplicated with - COPY - listed after each duplicate bookmark.

My Music folder is all screwed up with multiple copies of each tune, ranging from 2 or 3 up to a dozen, or so, of the same song.

This would take many tedious hours to clean up manually. I don't know why this occurred. I have never encountered it before. But, it did.

My question is, is there a simple way to remove the extraneous tags and duplicate files? Any dependable and reputable software out there that clean up this mess?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:28 PM

Odd indeed.

You can try a 3rd party dup file remover & see if it can/will automate your deletion task -

http://www.howtogeek.com/200962/how-to-find-and-remove-duplicate-files-on-windows/

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

Another way to go about it (which is a bit more manual), is to go in every folders where you have duplicates: Music, Pictures, Favorites, etc. and use the Search feature with a filter keyword, like "Copy". This will list all the files with the word "Copy" in it (most likely, Copy 1, Copy 2, Copy 3), etc. and you simply have to select all of them and delete them all at once. The only downside is if you have a legitimate file that includes the word "Copy" in it, it'll comeback out in the Search. You can then simply review all the filenames quickly and if you see a file that doesn't have the "Copy" word you're looking for, simply exclude it from the deletion. It's a bit more work, but personally that's how I would proceed. jcgriff2's solution is good and viable as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 richfed52

richfed52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

That worked great in my Favorites Folder - Thank you, Aura! My Music Folder does not have the word COPY in it so that will not work. Since I don't have too much music, that folder is manageable. My main problem remains that UTC tag that File History put on all my documents, pictures, and videos. Removing them manually will take me the rest of my life!! :-)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

No problem richfed :) You could probably play with one of the method explained in the HowToGeek article below to rename these files.

http://www.howtogeek.com/111859/how-to-batch-rename-files-in-windows-4-ways-to-rename-multiple-files/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users