Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer sluggish, apps freezing, Malwarebytes won't launch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew111

Andrew111

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

For months now my computer seems to be struggling with some slowness. By slowness I mean applications taking longer to launch, applications freezing, and Windows taking longer to shut down. It seemed like a computer that had become junked up with drivers over a long period of time. And my email client (Eudora) and browsers (Opera classic, Firefox, and IE) seemed to take longer to react to websites. But every time I do a test at Speedtest.net, there is no slowness.

I have Norton Internet Security which is always on. I did a full scan, and it found nothing except a few infected junk email attachments. I never click on these anyway, and just delete all attachments from time to time.

Then two weeks ago my computer slid off my lap down my leg and then fell to the floor. It didn't look like much of a bump, so I was surprised to see a blue screen telling me that Windows had an unusual event and had to shut down. It was also making an image of memory onto my hard disk. I was too flustered to write down the details. So after it was done copying, I restarted it and allowed it to start normally. Everything seemed fine.

Later that day I got a screen that appeared to be a Windows status screen. Not a blue screen. Not an error screen. A screen with wallpaper and nice font, just like the welcome screen. It said "Preparing Security Options." Then after about 5 seconds, it went back to normal. The Microsoft support area contained a question about this message, and the advice was to run sfc /scannow from an elevated prompt So I did. And it said it didn’t find any integrity violations.

I decided to run Malwarebytes. I have the full version but had not run or updated it for months. But it would not connect to update its malware definitions. I used it to scan anyway, and found no problems. I tried to update again, but it would still not update. I checked the settings and noticed the “enable self-protection” was not active. So I clicked that box. Then I clicked the subsetting that says “enable self-protection early start.” When I did that, Malwarebytes disappeared from the screen. I could not start it again. All I get is an hourglass cursor that quickly disappears. So I downloaded a fresh Chameleon from the Malwarebytes website using a different computer. Then I ran every script from a USB drive. It did me no good.

Also, my computer was becoming more and more sluggish and more frequent application freezing. And I noticed a new message when I shut down. It would often say it had to force a task host window to close. And then Norton Internet Security started frequently giving me messages about applications were doing a lot of disc writing. I was not too worried at first because I was either downloading or moving files at the time. But still, I was getting a lot of these. And then I got one for simply launching my email client.

Yesterday my browsers stopped working. Meaning, they would not even try to connect when I clicked a bookmark. If I reboot Windows, they work fine for awhile, then I have to reboot again. I ran Windows Defender Offline and it found nothing.

Malwarebytes has a utility on their site that is provided by you. I was going to run it next, but a friend suggested I come here and ask your advice instead.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hi, try to run Rkill then MBAM.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.
OR
  • Note: If Malwarebytes will not launch please do the following to launch Malwarebytes Chameleon:
  • Click Start (Start, Search, All files and folders for Windows XP) then type mbam
  • Double click one of the four following files (if one does not work try the next one, and so on) - A black command window will open. Follow those instructions until the Malwarebytes program starts the scan

mbam-chameleon.scr
mbam-chameleon
mbam-chameleon.exe
mbam-chameleon.com

----------
  • When completed click the down arrow on Export Log and select Text file (*.txt)
  • Save the file to your desktop as MBAM
  • Click Apply Actions then restart your computer if requested
  • Copy and past the contents of MBAM.txt in your reply

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Andrew111

Andrew111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

Hi, try to run Rkill then MBAM....

Thanks for your assistance.

Your instructions say to run Rkill and then do the next step if Rkill doesn't run. It ran for over three minutes. Then it said it was finished. But I cannot type "exit" in the DOS box of shut it any other way. Task Manager says Rkill is still there. Also, Task Manager cannot terminate Rkill. But I went ahead and tried to Run Malwarebytes. All i got was an hour-class cursor for a few seconds. 

Because of the complication of the first one still sitting in memory, i didn't try the next one. I also have not rebooted (per instructons).

I ended up having to reboot.

Your faq said something about not posting logs, so I held off posting the contents of Rkill.txt. 

Please let me know what you want me to do next. . 

Edited by Andrew111, 03 May 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#4 Andrew111

Andrew111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:34 AM

I think maybe I misunderstood. Am I supposed to run all Rkills and all mbam-chameleons one after another, checking after each one (assuming it actually ran) to see if Malwarebytes can start?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

Try running Rkill and then MBAM If Mbam doesn't run do the Chameleon.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Andrew111

Andrew111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

I ran them all with no luck. One thing I should mention is Chameleon on my computer cannot be reached searching as you said. It exists as a chm file in the tools folder under the Malwarebytes folder. Once launched, it offers a screen with buttons to run different versions of Chameleon. I don't know if this makes a difference. 

FWIW, I tried the rkills in and out of safe mode. In safe mode they closed after completion. In regular mode they did not. But in all cases, they reported that they had finished. 

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

Ok, we should move you and get a deeper look.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.

#8 Andrew111

Andrew111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:48 PM

Thanks. I posted a new topic according to your instructions. It took several tries to get the FRST tool to run. It keep hanging on checking for updates. But eventually I got it to run. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users