Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Computer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pantera550esr

pantera550esr

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

ok heres the deal. the last 3 computers ive had, a lot was left ot be desired. so i thought to my self, why not just build one your self, it cant be that hard? well, ive got all the parts picked out, (except the mouse and keyboard and small things liek that that i can get at my local wally world). Im really into gaming, i have over 3000 digatal photos, i love havign my entire mucis collection on my computer (right now thats about 40 gigs worth) and i absoultly NEED to put my entire dvd collection onto my hard drive (hence me wanting so much stoarge)

So the main things that i really want in this compuer are:
*2 hard drives, 250 gigs each
*2 dvd burners
* high end gaming video card
*4 gigs of ram
*Nice sound card
*very low running temp. (i livein maine where it routeinly gets to 100 degs. in the summer, and i just had a mount on my mother board melt, and that screwed the whole system)
*a nice monitor
*great expandability for future upgrades

so with those things in mind, i went to www.tigerdirect.com and took a look around. so i came up with what i believe to be a very high end gaming computer. so the reason that im posting this is for help. is there any issues with the componates that i have chosen? the area im most worried about is with the hard drives and dvd burners. since thers 2 master and 2 slave parts with the mother board ive chosen, would the 2 hard drives go on one, or would one hard drive go on each?

heres the list of what i picked out:

case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...392&CatId=0

mother board and cpu bundle: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...133&CatId=0

video card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;Sku=B52-7840

hard drive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p?EdpNo=1265028

dvd burner: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...4&CatId=482

memory (ram): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...576&CatId=0

sound card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1&CatId=107

floppy drive/memory card reader: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...4&CatId=630

fans: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...094&CatId=0

power supply: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...424&CatId=0

liquid cooling: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...2&CatId=499

monitor: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...823&CatId=0

please post a comment if you see anythin wrong or anything that should be upgraded or changed at all. i will be working from this september to January, earning about $4,000.i hope to have all of the parts (im ordering all of the parts from tigerdirect) by the folowing Feburary.

while looking at the parts, remember that i want a high end gaming machine, at a some what modest price ( i expect to pay anywhere from $2,00 to $2,600 for this computer)

and dont be afraid to use technical terms in your replies, i know quite a bit about computers, and i know how to use google!!! :thumbsup:

MiKe
MiKe

"a true friend won't come bail you out of jail... he will be sitting there next to you saying 'we screwed up!!!'"

"God Bless Athiesam!!!"

Squirlles: Natures Little speed bumps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

Ok, number one, wher do you live? (UK or US, etc, no exacts please) I can further help you in picking out a computer from better/cheaper websites. From what I see, it's alright, although you can probably get a better computer for that same price.

Here are some sites Newegg
ZipZoomfly

Don't be afraid to be stuck in between ATi and nVidia (althouh ATi is currently on top) and AMD and Intel.

Why go with the 7900 when the X1900 offers better quality for the same price?

Edited by legoman786, 04 July 2006 - 10:56 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:04 PM

I just recently built a new computer, and I decided on AMD and nVidia. After reading an extraordinary number of articles on both AMD vs. Intel, as well as ATI vs. nVidia, it came down to personal choice. They both offer great quality, and each one has it's strong points over the other. If you're having trouble deciding, just go with which ever one you like best (of couse it has to be compatible with the rest of your build.)

And don't forget that by February everything will be upgraded and the parts you have picked out now will probably be cheaper. You may want to get a general idea of what you want, and around December start picking out new parts.

Posted Image

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

I would suggest you get a smaller 80gig hardrive or something to run your OS and your games off of and get a nice big 500gig for you movies, dvds and the other documents. This will create less lag when you play since you hardrive doesn't have to search thru so much information.

#5 pantera550esr

pantera550esr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:09 PM

well, im not really positive about any of those componates, they are just what i would like. the only one that i am positive about is nvidea. i want the mother board and video card ot be nvidea just because ive been witht hem for a long time and i really like them. other than that: the hard drives arnt a problem, because im probably just going to go with a 500 gig hard drive any way, but if i dont, then i would probably go with something like a 100 gig and a 300 gig setup.

and i live in the us
MiKe

"a true friend won't come bail you out of jail... he will be sitting there next to you saying 'we screwed up!!!'"

"God Bless Athiesam!!!"

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:38 PM

If you are going to be spending a decent amount of money an even better idea is you could run your main drive with the OS and games on one of those 10 000RPM drive that normaly have 74Gigs of space and then get a 300gig 7200 RPM hardrive for you information. You will get alot faster read times with this setup.

#7 pantera550esr

pantera550esr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

If you are going to be spending a decent amount of money an even better idea is you could run your main drive with the OS and games on one of those 10 000RPM drive that normaly have 74Gigs of space and then get a 300gig 7200 RPM hardrive for you information. You will get alot faster read times with this setup.

yeah, that was one of the other setps i was looking at
MiKe

"God Bless Athiesam!!!"

#8 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

he lives in maine,U.S. for whoever asked
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#9 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:24 PM

So... let's see. For the CPU and mobo combo, I'd say the new P5W-DH and a Pentium D, um, 930 should be fine. For RAM, I'd say ditch the A-Data (uber crap, will die in about several months in the worst case) and get a good set of OCZ or Patriot RAM. The P5W-DH supports DDR2-800 RAM, so anything DDR2 up to 800 will work. The reason I say the P5W-DH is because it supports the new Conroe processor and the Kentsfield.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#10 pantera550esr

pantera550esr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

So... let's see. For the CPU and mobo combo, I'd say the new P5W-DH and a Pentium D, um, 930 should be fine. For RAM, I'd say ditch the A-Data (uber crap, will die in about several months in the worst case) and get a good set of OCZ or Patriot RAM. The P5W-DH supports DDR2-800 RAM, so anything DDR2 up to 800 will work. The reason I say the P5W-DH is because it supports the new Conroe processor and the Kentsfield.

yeah, i just threw that memory in there, i really wanted to get the gold ocz gamer memory

but im really stuck on amd athalon 64 processer ( i think thats what i put anyway)

and to the person whos picture is of a cubs symbol: how did u know i live in maine? i didnt put it any where i dont think
MiKe

"God Bless Athiesam!!!"

#11 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:26 PM

how did u know i live in maine? i didnt put it any where i dont think

It's in your myspace dude, the one you link to in your profile. It's amazing what people can find out about you through a littl searching

Posted Image

#12 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:55 PM

and to the person whos picture is of a cubs symbol: how did u know i live in maine? i didnt put it any where i dont think

(i livein maine where it routeinly gets to 100 degs. in the summer, and i just had a mount on my mother board melt, and that screwed the whole system)

Me thinks thou art mistaken :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:30 PM

4GB of memory. Probably not a good idea. I will be slower than 2GB and due to 32-bit OS restrictions you won't be able to use the full 4 GB anyways.

Adding to that; I've heard some speculation about windows not being stable on 4GB.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#14 pantera550esr

pantera550esr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:09 PM

now i remember posting that... lol, but i didnt know i put it in myspace or that i put myspace on here, hugh, i must have taken my meds that day... lmao. so if 4 gigs wouldnt be a good idea, and i did put 2 in to it, hoe would i do it? one 2 gig stick, two 1 gig stick, four 512 sitck?
MiKe

"God Bless Athiesam!!!"

#15 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

If you're going AMD... then 2x 1GB. IMO, not 4x 1GB, not 4x 512MB.

The mem controller on AMD's don't like all four slots filled.

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users