Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do install Ubuntu using a Memory Card?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thecomputerking_69

thecomputerking_69

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:30 AM

I have one of those newer Windows 8 laptops so i assume it has UEFI and i want to put Ubuntu on a memory card and have it bootable so i can install. How do i do that...?

It's a Aspire E11 Start laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:59 AM

Hi welcome to BC.

i want to put Ubuntu on a memory card and have it bootable so i can install

That's easy, Just install it to USB like you would HDD. Bofore doing anything you should image your drive or create backups.

Burn the ISO to CD or DVD

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

After that is done turn off your PC and reboot it from the CD/DVD, You may need to set your PC to boot from CD/DVD in bios.

Once Ubuntu is booted select the install button and point the installer at the USB Stick.

CAUTION Make sure you point the installer at the USB stick not the Hard drive or it WILL delete your Windows look at the target drive carefully it will say sdb NOT sda.

Once Ubuntu is installed, Turn off your PC and restart it enter bios set the PC to boot from USB save settings and reboot.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:52 AM

Nick, I don't think you can install from a Full USB Install can you?  You cannot in Mint, one would need to use Unetbootin, UUI or a DVD.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

we have a windows 8 Lappy that has no CD / DVD drive...  which may be an Acer Aspire.... so you will need to download to HDD and follow some instruction  on 

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows or another  site.

most linux distros have instructions on how they think its best to do the job.. 

or heres a video made by Nick Au http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573568/trying-to-get-ubuntu-on-windows-xp-laptop/?p=3684618

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

Why do want to install Ubuntu? If your goal is just to experiement with Ubuntu consider running it in a virtual machine (if your computer is powerful enough to run vms). Popular virtual-machine softwares are VirtualBox, and VMware Player. A virtual-machine is a program that acts like a computer, allowing you to run other operating systems from within your existing operating system. Unfortunately virtual machines don't offer great performance and the level of performance will depend on how powerful your physical computer is.

Are you planning on dual-booting, or are you getting rid of Windows 8? If you are getting rid of Windows make sure your hardware works properly under Ubuntu before committing by using "Try without installing".

Before installing keep in mind that partitioning is typically involved, as such everything on the drive is put at risk (this comes off overly dramatic). It's always advisable to have a backup of your drive (including the OS) before any kind of partitioning so that if updating the partition list fails and corrupts it you don't end up loosing all your data, and having to use some kind of recovery tool (hopefully successfully) to recover your data, and be able to boot Windows.

I have one of those newer Windows 8 laptops so i assume it has UEFI

You can check to see if it's currently in UEFI mode by opening a command prompt, typing "diskpart" (be careful of typos when using Diskpart), confirming admin priviledges, and then in diskpart typing "list disk". Under the "Gpt" column if it has an asterix beside the hard drive that Windows is installed on (likely Disk 0) your computer is running in UEFI mode. Type "exit" to exit Diskpart.

i want to put Ubuntu on a memory card and have it bootable so i can install.

Unless things have changed recently most live-usb tools don't support creating UEFI capable bootable mediums, but Rufus claims to ( https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ). I've never used it so I'm not familiar with it, but I did find this guide ( http://www.techerina.com/2015/01/dual-booting-windows-8-and-ubuntu-uefi-using-rufus.html ). Your computer has to support booting from the card-reader (I'll be surprised if it does). The only way to check will be to try and boot from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users