Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remoting into a windows 8 from MAC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stephenjones

stephenjones

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

I have a macbook pro running yosemite, i5 about 8gb ram and In my basement I have a windows 8.1 desktop. I would like to know if there is a way or software for me to remote into the desktop from the mac over lan to access the resources on the desktop and also run the programs. If anyone has experience with this, would there be a lot of lag as well? I would like to see the desktop as if I was actually at the pc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

the only thing I can think of is a program called team Viewer

John

An Australian Living in the USA

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

I'll second TeamViewer, free for private use.

#4 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

you have many options the most native of which being Microsoft's RDP (remote desktop protocol) and the affiliated app for it in the itunes store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id715768417?mt=12

Also, you can install one of the many VNC flavors on the windows computer then install the viewer on the Mac and remote in that way.

There is also Network shares which can be shared over SMB if both devices are on the same network. I believe apple will allow you to connect to an SMB using the CIFS protocol: CIFS://location/to/network/share (this is useful if you need access to the files and not remote control of the desktop)

Edited by drwmbt, 03 May 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#5 stephenjones

stephenjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I tried teamviewer but it lags a bit on my graphics software. I guess thats to be expected. Will give the others a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users