Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 8 from USB onto new built pc?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bnijman

bnijman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with installing windows 8 on a pc I just built. 

As far as I know, I built the thing correctly. In the BIOS centre/menu (Click BIOS 4, motherboard: MSI B85M-G43) I can see all drives/fans/cpu etc etc. So the next thing I want to do is install Windows, which I have bought and downloaded on this laptop I'm using right now. 

Because it's a download, and the new pc doesn't have a diskreader, I want to boot the pc from a USB. I followed a step-by-step tutorial on how to download->make ISO file-> convert to USB bootable, which worked. I changed the booting order in Click BIOS 4 so the USB comes first (these are some of the things I didn't do first, but 'learned the hard way' so to speak). 

So finally, the pc boots up from the USB, however, I get this message:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

The digital signature for this file couldn't be verified

error code: 0xc0000428'

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or a USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

But I do not know what they mean by 'the recovery tools', let alone know what to do with them. So if someone could help me through the process of installing Windows 8 from a USB on a new PC, it would be greatly appreciated. Some specs, in case they are needed:

MSI B85M-G43 motherboard

intel Core i7 4790 (4GHz)

32 RAM (yes I am trying to instal Windows 8 PRO)

1 SSD (crucial MX100)

2 HDD (HGST Travelstar and WD Red)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

I would advise re-doing the Windows 8.1 USB installation stick, then reinstall Windows.

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt-tutorials/6223-install-windows-8-1-8-usb-stick.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 bnijman

bnijman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:04 AM

Didn't work.... I completed the steps and that all went well, but when I plug the USB in the new computer, it doesn't boot from the USB anymore, so I'm actually worse off now? Maybe the problem lies within settings in the BIOS menu? Everytime I start the pc up, I come to some sort of shell menu, where the only thing I seem to be able to do is type 'exit' in the command line, which brings me to the BIOS menu. Is this normal?

edit: also, I can't use the usb anymore? the windows usb download tool I was using before says it can't copy the files to the usb anymore.... and everytime I try, I can't enter the USB via My Computer anymore either. I have to format it, seems to be the only way.

Edited by bnijman, 03 May 2015 - 02:15 AM.

#4 bnijman

bnijman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

no one? I'm seriously stuck, and it's incredibly irritating  :smash:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

Download Rufus and run it. Select GPT as a partition scheme in the dropdown box. Make sure your flash drive is listed. In the dropdown box that lists Freedos select iso image and click the small folder icon. Browse to the iso you downloaded. Press Start. In UEFI make sure Fastboot or it may be called Quickboot is disabled. You may need to disable Secure Boot if it is in your UEFI also.

If the flash drive does not boot then run Rufus again and select MBR partition scheme.

#6 bnijman

bnijman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

alright i'm one step closer to being done, but there is again something wrong >.<

I finally got the windows screen that asked me to instal windows. I clicked and now I'm at step 1 of 2: collecting information (i'm translating here, from dutch to english, so not all words will exactly match up to the english version, sorry). step 2 is installation.

The problem is that I get a prompt/error that says it can't find the driver or something. It tells me to check my USB to see if it contains the right drivers. But everything is brand new, I used an official tool by microsoft to make the iso/make it bootable from the usb, and I just don't want to screw everything up by removing the usb and checking it here. Another window did say that it is okay to remove the USB, but would really like to hear some advice from someone with a little more experience before I change anything....

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:04 AM

Go here and download the Intel Rapid Start Technology Driver

Unzip the file and look for the Drivers folder. You will see a folder called X64 with three files. Copy those files to the root of a USB flash drive. I think it will work if you copy the files to the root of your USB install flash drive but I am not sure. If not you would need another flash drive with those three files in the root of the flash drive.

If you do not have any luck with the above driver download f6flpy-x64.zip  here.  Unzip all files to the root of the USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#8 bnijman

bnijman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

Ok I first tried it with a seperate usb, First link didn't work but with second one, I got something. Plugging this new usb into the pc, I finally got 1 'item' shown when I scanned the system. But when i click next, it thinks for a while, but doesn't advance me to a next stage, and gives me the same old prompt. Reading the text carefully I get the feeling that these files need to be on the 'windows usb', but when i put them in (the root of) the windows usb, suddenly the pc doesn't find them???

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

When you get to the screen shown here press Shift+F10. At the command prompt type the following.

Diskpart

list disk

Select Disk X where X is the number of your drive you are installing to the SSD shown in list disk

clean

convert gpt

exit

Close out the command prompt and continue with the install.

If your UEFI is set to AHCI, set it to RAID and see if the install continues. Does the USB flash install drive boot with SecureBoot enabled in UEFI?

#10 bnijman

bnijman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:25 PM

"When you get to the screen shown here press Shift+F10. At the command prompt type the following."

I do not know what you mean by 'screen shown here', am I supposed to see a picture? Anyway, I have gone throught those commands already, at least they look very familiar. Another thing is, that I don't think I can get into the BIOS to change any settings without exiting the (attempt to) instal, and this is the furthest I have come yet. I don't think I want to exit to be honest.

Or I absolutely have to of course, but please walk me through it step by step, because at this point it's all way over my head :s

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

Sorry, I forgot the link. Here is the picture I was referring to. At that screen press shift+F10 to bring up the command prompt window. Then use the above commands I posted.

Yes, you would need to exit the install to change UEFI. Just for some info, you can download the iso file of Windows Pro here.

After using the list disk command, do you see your SSD listed?

#12 bnijman

bnijman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

alright, i got there. for clarification, the 'X' is the number of the usb or the SSD?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

X is the number listed for the SSD drive.

#14 bnijman

bnijman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

it didn't change anything i think? and yes I can see all drives when I do list disk

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

If you can see all the drives using list disk then I cannot understand why Windows 8 does not want to install because if diskpart sees the drives then the Windows install should also see it and install. Are all the drives clean or have no data on them. For the install, disconnect all drives except the SSD and see if the install continues.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 May 2015 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users