Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TRying to go into recovery

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bud11dy

bud11dy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

Hello all

I am trying to put my computer back to factory settings (wipe everything on C: and make it like I just brought it).

I didn't have my recovery CD's, so I ordered it from Dell and got a thumb drive in the mail. I put it in and also changed the boot options so it would point to the usb port first. I started thee  computer  and it goes to the usb drive and says that it is loading files and then it goes to the recovery & restore window and then after about 3 minutes it says missing files and quits. I have also tried the restore option when you hit f12 and it does not give me the option to restore, it gives me the option to go back to earlier today, but that is it. I called dell and informed them that I was having this trouble and they wanted $129 to tell me anything. I told them that  something was wrong with their thumb drive and they said no, it is with your computer. I just figured something was wrong with the recovery partition, so I am here to try and see if I can learn to fix it myself with somebody's help :)

I have a

Dell XPS 8300

i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

The picture is what I get when I go to command prompt and type diskpart and then list volume

Thank you for any and all help

Attached Files

• Attached File  CMD.jpg   151.96KB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

From your image it looks like you already have the Factory System Image available on your hard drive and do not need a flash drive image. Tap F8 at boot without the USB key attached. Select Repair Computer. Select Data Safe Restore. Backup your data first.

Here is a video.

#3 bud11dy

bud11dy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

Okay, I tried that. When I get to the part where it says click on restore my computer. I click that and then the next screen asked me to brows for more system backups. It doesn't  show a factory image in the box above.  I click on that and it shows me all of the drives including the X recovery drive and the boot drive and the others. I clicked around in the X: drive and could not find anything that it was looking for  (system files).

Thank you for helping.

#4 go4goalnw

go4goalnw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:49 AM

The attachment shows the disk-part utility, but it can't restore your Windows, using such command you can re-size your partitions. Check the usb drive which you got for Windows for other options given.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

Go through the same steps as the video but this time when you get to the repair your computer screen attach the flash drive. Does it locate the factory image on the flash drive when you select the Dell Safe Restore option?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

What kind of problems were you experiencing that prompted you to do a system recovery?

If the master boot record (MBR) is damaged you will not be able to use the recovery partition, and I suspect the usb option as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 bud11dy

bud11dy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

What kind of problems were you experiencing that prompted you to do a system recovery?

If the master boot record (MBR) is damaged you will not be able to use the recovery partition, and I suspect the usb option as well.

There were some programs that when I would run them would crash the computer or I would get a blue screen crash. After the computer crashed from the blue screen, it would get stuck at the loading screen and I would have to either have to hit ctrl alt del several times or just hold the power button to restart the computer.

I also have had this computer for 4 years and I have installed many programs on here that I don't really use anymore. I was just uninstalling them, but after a while it was just too many things on my computer and my HD was almost full so I just decided it was time to start from scratch. I moved the things I wanted over to other drives and was going to reinstall after the system recovery.

After I did the system recovery, I installed the games and other programs that I use a lot and the games that crashed my cpu before the system restore are working fine now and they don't crash the computer and I haven't had a blue screen since the SR either.

Thank you for helping, I watched your video and will be subscribing to your channel.

Edited by bud11dy, 04 May 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#8 bud11dy

bud11dy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:56 AM

Go through the same steps as the video but this time when you get to the repair your computer screen attach the flash drive. Does it locate the factory image on the flash drive when you select the Dell Safe Restore option?

Alright I was able to restore the system to factory. I had to restore from the desktop or program menu. I went to start and clicked on menu and clicked on Dell datasafe and Dell Datasafe Local Backup and when I went there and follow the steps it showed my factory image.

Thank you for all of your help

#9 bud11dy

bud11dy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

The attachment shows the disk-part utility, but it can't restore your Windows, using such command you can re-size your partitions. Check the usb drive which you got for Windows for other options given.

I got it will all of everyone's help, Thank you for helping.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

Glad you finally got it sorted out. From your post#3 it seems you were not able to get the computer to do a factory reset as the image was not found. Were you able to get the USB flash drive to do the system reset. Can you post how you finally did the factory reset.

I must have had a bad morning. I can't believe I missed the post on how you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 May 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#11 bud11dy

bud11dy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

Glad you finally got it sorted out. From your post#3 it seems you were not able to get the computer to do a factory reset as the image was not found. Were you able to get the USB flash drive to do the system reset. Can you post how you finally did the factory reset.

I tried a few more times, by hitting F8 at start-up but it still was not able to find the image. So I went into my all programs menu after you click on start to see if anything was in the dell folders that would help me. When I did that, that was when I seen the dell datasafe program and I ran it right from windows and it did everything. I don't know why it couldn't find the restore image doing the F8 option, but it showed up as so as I went into the program in windows.

I had to restore from the desktop or program menu. I went to start and clicked on "All Programs" and clicked on "Dell Datasafe folder" and inside the folder I clicked on "Dell Datasafe Local Backup" and when I went there and follow the steps it showed my factory image.

Once I clicked on that I just followed the directions from the video you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users