Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protecting a new computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mwarrior

mwarrior

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

Hello,

I'm searching for the post or tutorial that explained the steps to and programs for setting up protection for a new computer.  I'm running Windows 8 and it came with 30 days protection from McAfee.  I thought it was a year.  Now I see that I've been unprotected for 8 days and I have some kind of adware since Pinterest will pop up randomly. 

Malwarebytes used to be free indefinintely, but now it says it's out of date.I ran a scan with it even though it said it was out of date.  It said I had no infection.  I downloaded Adware and clicked to install.  A window popped up saying that it was out of date, click continue or something to go to website for latest (the other option was cancel or close).  When the page pulls up it's a 404 page.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.  Trying to protect this pc before I get any more problems. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Marcy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

Answers to common security questions - Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection

Why not use Windows Defender on Windows 8 which integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection? Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows Defender 8 provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates.  

Since Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled and then Windows 8 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus you may receive a message indicated your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, you will need to manually turn it on.

If you want to use another anti-virus then you need to disable Windows 8 Defender before installing a different antivirus software.

For a list of other recommended security tools (i.e. SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol) and resources, please refer to:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:18 AM

The most current version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is v2.1.6.1022 released 04/16/15....Malwarebytes Anti-Malware download

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

I downloaded Adware and clicked to install.  A window popped up saying that it was out of date, click continue or something to go to website for latest (the other option was cancel or close).  When the page pulls up it's a 404 page.

Did you mean Ad-Aware by Lavasoft?

If so, be aware that mvps.org and many security experts are no longer recommending Ad-Aware (or Spybot S&D) due to poor testing results and ineffectiveness.

Read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a “pick” some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it can’t stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Also read Security companies Lavasoft and Comodo have been found using the SSL slurping certificate similar to Lenovo-Superfish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users