Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speed Issue with Shared Internet Connection in W7 64 Pro, with Subnet Peers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alphaa10

alphaa10

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Here is a scenario for deploying a Windows 7 64 Pro peer network-- in particular, a Windows PC hosting a shared internet connection for other machines. I plan to connect the Windows machine host to the household router (and internet) upstream, and connect the same host to a switch downstream, in order to create a subnet to which are connected two or more Windows peer machines.

All this is for security purposes. To be frank, we have kids in the house-- teens, let's say-- who need to have their internet connections monitored by some "Net Nanny" type of program to help them stay out of trouble. That is why they will be on a subnet attached to the Windows shared connection host machine.

Now, the issue and question-- with streaming music, the video must be acceptable. On the Windows internet shared connection host machine, is it better to have a faster CPU with only 4gb to enable teens to stream music and video, or to have more RAM (8gb) and a slower CPU? I realize other parameters apply, but I do not have them, at the moment.

The incentive and interest for many Bleeping Computer forum readers is self-evident-- they, too, may have kids on the household connection. They may need to use this shared connection host approach in order to run a packet scanner and to monitor content effectively on a single gateway machine, but without slowing down the traffic so much the natives become restless.

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2015 - 03:48 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

I highly recommend against using Internet Connection Sharing if at all possible.  Better to use OpenDNS on the router and disable UPnP.  You can use OpenDNS to filter and disabling UPnP means that anything that requires a specific port will not work unless you forward the ports manually.

More RAM over CPU to answer your question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users