Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to Install Windows 7 - Buy OEM or Retail?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cecilia421

Cecilia421

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hi, everybody,

The nonprofit organization I work for received a donation of some used PC's with Windows XP. I've been tasked with upgrading them to Windows 7 (we don't want Windows 8+ on them at this point; these are decent pre-used computers but we don't expect them to last more than 5 years). I'm a little unclear as to whether I can buy and use the OEM or not, and what the pros and cons of that would be. Since the difference in price between the OEM and the Retail is $200+, I'd definitely like to go with the OEM if I can. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."
- Soren Kierkegaard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

Are these computers still running?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

Yes, they are running. They work fine.

I have not actually personally seen them yet. They're currently in another office, which I'll be going to on Monday and will meet with the admin there to talk about what she needs installed. I do know that she wants Windows 7.

- Soren Kierkegaard

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

I would suggest running the Windows 7 upgrade advisor on these computer to be sure they are going to be compatible with Windows 7.

How many of these computers do you have?

Are these computers all going to be used in one organization?

Edited by dc3, 02 May 2015 - 02:42 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

We have three that we're going to upgrade.

Yes, I'm planning to run the adviser when I get to them. I just want to have an idea of possible expense. The more I look, the harder it seems to find retail copies of Windows 7 anyway.

- Soren Kierkegaard

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

There are retail versions out there.  But you are looking at about $100. per copy for a real retail copy.

Did you have a preference for a specific version, and did you want the 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?

#7 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

I have to find out if these PC's are 32-bit or 64-bit before I decide.

Where are you finding the retail version for $100? All I can find is on Amazon for $350. Do you have another source? I checked TigerDirect and they only have the OEM version.

- Soren Kierkegaard

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

The nonprofit organization I work for received a donation of some used PC's with Windows XP. I've been tasked with upgrading them to Windows 7 (we don't want Windows 8+ on them at this point; these are decent pre-used computers but we don't expect them to last more than 5 years). I'm a little unclear as to whether I can buy and use the OEM or not, and what the pros and cons of that would be. Since the difference in price between the OEM and the Retail is $200+, I'd definitely like to go with the OEM if I can. Any recommendations?

Legally the OEM version can only be sold with new hardware for example a new motherboard.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

Legally the OEM version can only be sold with new hardware for example a new motherboard.

That's already been taken into consideration.

Edited by dc3, 02 May 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#10 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

Thanks! I'll check into this and talk to her on Monday and see what she wants to do. I appreciate the help!!

- Soren Kierkegaard

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

This is not an upgrade, so you can use either the 32-bit or 64-bit.  With the 32-bit you are limited to 3GB of RAM, with Windows 7 it is nice to be able to add more RAM if you are going to be using this for resource intense programs.

Check out Walmart.

#12 Cecilia421

Cecilia421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

That's great. Thank you!

- Soren Kierkegaard

#13 WhoX

WhoX

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

That depends on where you live. In Europe (EU) you can legally buy and sell Windows OEM versions without any connection to hardware.

Edited by WhoX, 03 May 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

@WhoX

SleepyDude posted the following.

Legally the OEM version can only be sod with new hardware for example a new motherboard.

You posted the following.

That depends on where you live. In Europe (EU) you can legally buy and sell Windows OEM versions without any connection to hardware.

There is no question about it, you can purchase OEM Windows operating systems all day long, everyday.  SleepyDude's point is correct as far as it goes.  The following is how Microsoft views this subject.

OEM system builder software packs are intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY. They are not intended for distribution to end users. Unless the end user is actually assembling his/her own PC, in which case, that end user is considered a system builder as well.

This means that legally a OEM operating system can't be used to upgrade a computer from say Windows XP to Windows 7.  It must be used in a new build.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

This means that legally a OEM operating system can't be used to upgrade a computer from say Windows XP to Windows 7.  It must be used in a new build.

Exactly, Microsoft also accepts this when replacing a bad motherboard for example. I know there are lots of stores that simply don't respect this Microsoft rule...

I think in terms of cost and legality the Get Genuine Kit is probably more appropriated for the OP case.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users