Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing the download destination

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

Everything I have downloaded has always gone to the Downloads Folder on my HDD.  Now I want to download to my D drive which is a 14 GB memory card, but I have not found a way to do it (directly) yet.  With the browsers I have used, mainly Firefox, I am not offered a choice when or before I click on Save, but I presume there is a way to do it?

Also, when I have downloaded a Portable version of an app to the mmemory card (D) I want to uninstall it from HDD © but so far when I try to do this (eg. with Revo Uninstaller) it uninstalls the app on the memory card too, which is not at all what I want.  Advice on this would be welcome.

clayto 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

In all browsers you should be able to set an option, though I think it would be the default anyway, to ask you for the destination folder before download n any file you download. With this optio set you should, whenever you try to download something:

first get a little box saying if you want to open/save/cancel (you won't get this box in chrome, you will in FF an IE), you should choose "save".

second a file browser window should open, about a sixth of the area of your screen.

third you either let it go to the already selected folder, or you browse for another older, if you want to save to a drive other than the one where the default destination is then you will need to clcik the "my computer" option on the left and select the drive from there, then select the relevant folder on that drive. You could also type the full file path in, probably.

fourth you click the save button, and the file downloads into the folder you chose.

In FF you enable the secon bit by going to "sandwich icon"-->options-->general tab " then picking "always ask me where to save files". And clicking ok. Close an reopen firefox after changing this setting just to make sure it changes properly.

Edited by rp88, 02 May 2015 - 12:45 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

Hi,

For Firefox check Quick Tip: Change Firefox Download File Location I prefer to always ask where to save.

Without more details about the portable program you are referring to is difficult to answer properly.

For example Portables available on portableapps.com they install directly to the drive you select.

If its a program that exports the installation to a flash drive to make it portable after doing that you only need to uninstall the program using the Control Panel, Programs and Features option.

Edited by SleepyDude, 02 May 2015 - 12:50 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

This article will explain how to set the download location on Firefox, Google Chrome,IE, and Opera.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

Thanks, all of you!  These postings are all very helpful and have given me a lot to 'get my teeth into.'  I will start work on it tomorrow and expect to have what has been a naging problem resolved with your help.

clayto

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

I would change the user shell download folder.

To get a listing of your shell folders, run - http://www.sysnative.com/apps/shell_folders_jcgriff2.bat

A Notepad will open.  In the list will be a line like this:

{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %USERPROFILE%\Downloads

You can use Regedit to change the download folder name/location - currently %USERPROFILE%\Downloads

KEY: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Be sure to create a Windows System Restore point before changing anything in The Registry.

Edited by jcgriff2, 02 May 2015 - 09:19 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

Better to make a system image than a restore point, speaking for myself I have suffered incidences of system restore being unable to work and causing severe problems in the process, but I have always found system images (made with windows 8 and 8.1s internal image making tools)reliable. Personally I would suggest using methods such as changing the folder within each browser's setting or fiddling with other preferences before resorting to anything involving changing the registry.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

For those reading this and are not familiar with editing the registry, you need to be aware that if an error is made while making an edit it can render the computer inoperable.

I agree that depending on System Restore is not dependable and shouldn't be used to back up the registry.  If you are familiar with editing the registry you should know how to export the specific registry key and edit into notepad.  From there is can be imported back to the registry if needed.

Or... you can use software like Tweaking.com's Registry Backup.

To backup the registry please down load and install Tweaking.com Registry Backup.

Play the video below for operating instructions.

But editing the registry to change the download location in this case is like breaking eggs with a hammer.  They are downloading to a 14GB memory card.  I doubt that they will wish to make all of their downloads to this card, if this is the case then they will have to go back and edit the registry again to change the download location.

It is much simpler and a lot safer to simply change the download location in the browser.  In my humble opinion.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:42 PM

I must say that I'm surprised to hear that you find Windows System Restore not to be dependable.  It of course backs up system files + the entire Registry.  Since Vista, I have relied heavily on Windows System Restore and have never been let down.  XP - a completely different matter!  No way would I rely on it.

You do bring up a very good point though -- using the "Export" function in Regedit for the specific key.  Definitely a good and much faster alternative to the creation of a Windows System Restore point given that we are dealing with a single registry key.  thumbsup2.gif

For info, I suggested changing the Download shell folder location because it is the method that I use and am most familiar with.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:39 AM

For info, I suggested changing the Download shell folder location because it is the method that I use and am most familiar with.

There is an official way of changing that directly from the Windows GUI

Move Downloads folder to new location in Windows 7 this should be similar on Windows 8

There are other folders that can me moved the same way Redirect a folder to a new location

Edited by SleepyDude, 04 May 2015 - 06:31 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:26 AM

Interesting stuff.  I will follow up the links and suggestions in due course, and the question of Restore Point versus Disk Image.  As far as my basic issue is concerned, I have opened Options in Firefox (I really should have thought of that) and set the choice to 'ask me first' which has been working OK ---- I am getting the programs installed onto the Memory Card, directly from Firefox. I felt it was something basic but had not noticed the option.

Editing the Registry is something I have kept clear of, I dont trust myself with that.  I have even stopped using the Registry cleaning function in CCleaner recently, following an article about system optimising suites and Registry cleaners (useless, unnecessary or worse according to one techie) .  At least CCleanes ask if I want to set a Restore Point first, which I have always done so I may still use it occassionally.  I use CCleaner iself every few days.

clayto

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:36 AM

There are other folder that can me moved the same way Redirect a folder to a new location

If it's worth anything, this is the easiest method to redirect a folder. I did it on dozens of folders that are in my userprofile on my C: drive (a SSD) to my D: drive (a HDD). Then I simply adjusted the download location of all my web browsers to the HDD Downloads folder: D:\Users\$USERNAME\Downloads.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:53 AM

Editing the Registry is something I have kept clear of, I dont trust myself with that.

It's never a good idea to go mucking around in the Windows registry unless you have a good understanding of this area. However, small changes can generally be made if you Create a New Restore Point and back up the registry before making any changes.

Tools for Backing up the Registry:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users