Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MD5 sum?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

I'm having trouble getting the Md5 sums to match for an iso file. ThatI downloaded from the internet. I'm really not convinced I am using the checker correctly. The program I'm using is winmd5free. Does anyone know of a simple md5 checker that a newbie can use?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, but you may be interested in reading this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

Try with winMd5Sum it's one that I have on my collection.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

Thanks,

I'm trying to burn a LiveDVD of Ubuntu for an old laptop. I downloaded another program (WinMDSUM) to check the sum and it also indicated a mismatch, so I guess I'm doing it correctly. Don't know why this is happening. I am downloading from the Ubuntu web site as well.

Edited by nu2this, 02 May 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

Thanks,

I'm trying to burn a LiveDVD of Ubuntu for an old laptop. I downloaded another program (WinMDSUM) to check the sum and it also indicated a mismatch, so I guess I'm doing it correctly. Don't know why this is happening. I am downloading from the Ubuntu web site as well.

Sometimes doing big downloads using the browser can result in bad files I suggest you try with a download manager like Free Download Manager Lite.

Edited by SleepyDude, 02 May 2015 - 03:04 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:23 PM

Thank you,

I looked at FDM. I didn't see any reference to Win7, do you know if it will work in that O.S.? 

#8 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Hello,

I use HashTab to check any files hashes:
http://implbits.com/

It is good, once you install the program you can right click on any file -> go into properties -> Click on the tab "Hash Tab" and you will have all your hashes :)

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:45 AM

Thank you,

I looked at FDM. I didn't see any reference to Win7, do you know if it will work in that O.S.? 

Yes it works. They changed the page recently and the information is missing.

___
Rui

#10 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Found out what the problem was. I downloaded the iso file with my wives laptop and had no trouble. The hash tags matched and I was able to install Ubuntu. I guess there is something wrong with my desktop. Don't really know what the problem could be. Have downloaded may things in the past, but never an iso.

Thanks again.

Edited by nu2this, 03 May 2015 - 07:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users