Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0x40000015 error with Avira

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 redjim

redjim

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:17 AM

Hi,

I have recently got this 0x40000015 error message when I try to open Avira Free on a windows 7 desktop.

I tried to reinstall from the original file but that didn't work.

So I did a total uninstall and downloaded it and reinstalled it but I keep getting the same error message.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hi redjim :)

From what I can see, this error message is caused by either a bad installation of the software, or the fact that the system is infected and a malware prevents it from launching. What you can try to do is to uninstall Avira Free again, but this time, follow their manual installation procedure, and use their Registry Cleaner tool to delete all Avira entries from the Registry and make sure that there's no remnants left of the product on your system. Follow the procedure in the link below, then reinstall it and let us know if you still get that error message.

https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/902

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

Hi redjim :)

From what I can see, this error message is caused by either a bad installation of the software, or the fact that the system is infected and a malware prevents it from launching. What you can try to do is to uninstall Avira Free again, but this time, follow their manual installation procedure, and use their Registry Cleaner tool to delete all Avira entries from the Registry and make sure that there's no remnants left of the product on your system. Follow the procedure in the link below, then reinstall it and let us know if you still get that error message.

https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/902

The avira reg cleaner didn't get rid of everything, but I think I rooted the remnants out. If this doesn't work I assume I'll have to do it all over again?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

How do you know that the Avira Registry Cleaner didn't get rid of everything, what was left?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

An 0x40000015 error can also be caused by a damaged/corrupted Windows system file.

In any case, that error is not specific to Avira....I know in the past that Malwarebytes had been reported to throw that error.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:04 AM

How do you know that the Avira Registry Cleaner didn't get rid of everything, what was left?

When I ran the reg cleaner in safe mode it told me all traces of avira were gone but when I restarted I saw there were 2 avira folders in the program data folder and some other files in another folder which I cant recall the name of .

An 0x40000015 error can also be caused by a damaged/corrupted Windows system file.

In any case, that error is not specific to Avira....I know in the past that Malwarebytes had been reported to throw that error.

If that's the case how would I rectify it?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:41 AM

When I ran the reg cleaner in safe mode it told me all traces of avira were gone but when I restarted I saw there were 2 avira folders in the program data folder and some other files in another folder which I cant recall the name of .

That is not uncommon. After running the uninstall and the vendors cleaning tool, anything left over can be manually removed by right-clicking and choosing delete.

If that's the case how would I rectify it?

Sometimes you have to investigate and troubleshoot starting with the most simple....such as rebooting the computer after uninstall, running SFC, running anti-malware scans, performing a system restore, etc.

#8 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:43 AM

OK Thanks for the info.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

Just let us know if you continue to receive the error.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:33 AM

It's a "Registry Cleaner", and not a files and folders cleaner, like its name indicates. Hence why you had these folders left. You can simply delete them before proceeding to the reinstallation, if it's not done already.

unite_blue.png

#11 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

Thanks,

I think there's no trace of it left so I'll re install it

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

If you want, you could run a SFC /scannow before reinstalling it, just to explore the hypothesis of corrupting file systems mentionned by quietman.

unite_blue.png

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

And if you run SFC before reinstalling....do not connect to the Internet since you will be unprotected.

#14 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

Could you give me a quick run through on how to do that . I can't remember how it's done,

BTW I'm using MSE for the moment .

Thanks

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

Of course, here. I even included instructions if you want to provide the log with the SFC scan errors (if there's any).

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system:
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command sfc /scannow (there's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow") and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%), then copy/paste in your next reply the message that is returned after;
  • In addition, enter this next command in the command prompt you opened findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
  • A file called sfcdetails.txt will be created on your desktop. Upload it to ge.tt and post the download link in your next reply.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users