Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TheGagabou

TheGagabou

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:04 AM

Hello everyone, 

I've been having trouble with my computer lately, my main trouble being FPS drops during intense gaming sessions.
I've now exhausted software/malware issues that could be responsible for it. (I did a fresh install and cleaned the computer according to this topic).
I searched online for what might be causing this issue and found out that I might have overheating problems. 

So I'm wondering: How can I check if either my CPU or graphic card is overheating? And if so, what can I do?

Here are my Full Specs. (Sorry I don't know which specs you might need so I gave you all of them.) 

Average Idle CPU Temp according to RealTemp 3.70 : 68°C
I get to 95+ °C when gaming and I figured that's way to high for a water cooled CPU...
I've got a screenshot of RealTemp, HWMonitor and Intel XTU all showing when idle but I'm having trouble attaching it.. (Picture file too big even when compressed, about 430KB).
(And yes I've checked for dust problems the side of the case is made of glass. The computer is only 10 months old. I could give it another cleanup with compressed air if needed.) 

Thanks for any help, I'll be happy to provide you with any other info you might need to help me! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

Have you looked inside the case to see if there is an accumulation of dust, especially in the GPU fan and heatsink and the CPU fan and heatsink?

Have you checked to see if the grid in front of your air intake fan is not obstructed?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TheGagabou

TheGagabou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Thank you dc3,

Here's the Url you requested:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/uV6rN1Gf1c5h7mosfutlbik

Thanks for your help! 

Edit: This was taken idle, with only speccy and chrome running. Nothing CPU-taxing. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NzbyOzrSqnpYivAGXmRac1q

Here's one running a single game with chrome open in the background 98°C! 

Edited by TheGagabou, 02 May 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:25 PM

Did you open the case and examine it for an accumulation of dust?

Temperatures that high will damage your CPU.

Edited by dc3, 02 May 2015 - 03:25 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TheGagabou

TheGagabou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

I did clean all exhausts but I didn't get my hand on an air compressor to clean the inside...

I might be able to get my hands on one today or tomorrow.

Could there be a way for me to speed up my fans to allow an easier cooling? 

(Decibels don't really bother me, I'm always wearing my headset) 

Whilst waiting for your anwser I'll try and clean it (aka find someone with an air compressor). 

If I manage to clean it, I'll re-run both tests to see the difference and post the results.

Edit: Tomorrow I'll have a compressor and I'll clean it thoroughly. I should be able to give you post-cleaning results by then!

Edited by TheGagabou, 02 May 2015 - 05:25 PM.

#6 TheGagabou

TheGagabou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

I cleaned it totally. I took my time to remove pretty much all the dust I could find in there, removing filters to clean them etc. 

At first it seemed like it helped, I was averaging 40°C Idle (A great improvement from the past 68°C).

I "stress-tested" it again with the same game I used in my previous reply and went to 75-80 (Still way better than 98 average).

I'm sorry I dont have the speccy URLs for it, I tought I could easily reproduce these temperatures. (aka I tought my problem was fixed!)

Now, a few minutes after the test (about 10-15) I idle-average this:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MOCx7a4cklGdbOGYXvlyv52

About 66°C... Here we go again!

Stress-testing it with Kerbal Space Program (Same game as before):

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/yzLDADrpLrYLls1MPbSK4JG

88°C, not that bad... But what happened is: as I Alt-Tabed out of the game, speccy recorded 96, then quickly (1-2°C per second) dropped back to 88.

After the test, temperature drop slowly but still manages to get stuck on about 65-70. 

Could there be something wrong? A fan not working properly, the water cooling system not starting properly? Anything that might be causing this?

Thanks again.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

Is the fan on the heatsink assembly for the PCU running up to speed?

If it is and the assembly is now clean you may need to replace the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink.

#8 TheGagabou

TheGagabou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

There's no fan on the heat sink assembly as the CPU is water-cooled. (Or I'm getting something wrong). 

The only 2 fans detected by SpeedFan are running at 844Rpm (Aux Fan) and 1225 RPM(GPU Fan).

Basically there's this over my CPU (looks almost exactly like that and it's the same brand) : http://images10.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll300/35-103-195-06.jpg

Edit: Spelling 

Edited by TheGagabou, 03 May 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

These are the CPUs that are listed by Corsair as being compatible with that cooler.

Intel™ LGA 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, and 2011

I do not see the i7-4770K listed.

Aside from that, did the installation manual suggest the use of a thermal compound to install this cooler?  I don't seem to be having any luck locating the installation manual.

#10 TheGagabou

TheGagabou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

I'm sorry for missleading you, that was a really really simliar model to what I have (I just can't seem to find the model of the cooling system).

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

My ability to help you is dependent on the information I receive.

I believe that your problem is with the water cooler.

What did the installation instructions say about using a thermal compound between the cooler and the CPU?

Did the instructions state that you need to clean the surface of the CPU so that it is free of the old thermal compound?

Did you clean off the old thermal compound before installing the cooler?

#12 TheGagabou

TheGagabou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

I did not do the installation myself, the computer is a "pre-built"... 

I would've prefered building it myself, but for the price I got it (I paid 1000$ for it.) it was an opportunity not to miss.

I'll try and scavenge around what infos are left in the packaging that I kept.

#13 TheGagabou

TheGagabou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:16 PM

If I had to bet I'd place money on this one :

http://www.materiel.net/live/222776.jpg
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/seidon/seidon-120v/

The seidon 120v which should be able to cool the i7 4770k Pretty easily from what I've read, shouldn't it? 

I know about thermal paste but never bought any/applied any (I never built a pc so that's why!) And I kinda dont want to "mess" things up in there. 

Of course, if you tell be it could be easily doable then of course I'd be glad to follow your instructions! 

Edit: That picture link is EXACTLY what I have (with a blue led when turned on).

Edited by TheGagabou, 03 May 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

If you look at the parts in that picture you will see a tube of thermal compound.  The thermal compound enhances the transfer of heat from the CPU to the heatsink, or cooler in this case.  It is applied to the metal surface of the CPU and the cooler bottom plate.

But you said that this computer came with the liquid cooler installed?

#15 TheGagabou

TheGagabou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:06 PM

I wish I could simply take a picture and upload it for you but the size of the file would be over the 310-ish KB permitted :/ I'll try it still...

Can't attach them file too big -.- 

And yes the computer came all ready, meaning with the liquid cooler installed. 

Edit: I understand about the thermal paste, its utility and why I might need it. I just never did it.

Edited by TheGagabou, 03 May 2015 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users