Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone else seen this?(malwarebytes)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 theo19

theo19

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:31 AM

today I was updating malwarebytes, I had to update twice in a row for some reason, anyway - when I finished the second update I clicked finish and I had the option to launch malwarebytes after finishing checked, but it never launched, but it was running, The malewarebytes icon was open in the bottom right hand of my screen, so it was like it launched in the system tray, but the menu never popped up on my screen, I was just wondering if this was normal? I have diagnosed OCD and little stuff like that bothers me, haha so, sorry for asking such a stupid question here are some screen shots that will better explain 

q1vsrzQ.jpg
eU42UQ6.png

vOsOpPf.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:44 AM

While what you describe is not typical behavior, I can confirm it was happened on occasion when I have performed an update...the GUI did not open. In previous versions, there were cases when the systray icon did not display. As long as Malwarebytes (mbam.exe) is showing as running in task manager, you are protected.

If not, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Help Desk to try first is to uninstall/reinstall as follows:If Malwarebytes is running normally there is no need to follow the above instructions. I only posted them so you are aware in the event of future issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

I've faced that situation many times (where Malwarebytes wouldn't open). What quietman said is right, a normal uninstall and reinstallation of the product usually fix that issue. It takes a few minutes to complete. What is important is to do a clean uninstall (so using the mbam-clean.exe executable, from the 2nd link provided by quietman), and the restart after you're done uninstalling the program.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

The mbam-clean.exe executable download is also available in the first link.

#5 theo19

theo19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

While what you describe is not typical behavior, I can confirm it was happened on occasion when I have performed an update...the GUI did not open. In previous versions, there were cases when the systray icon did not display. As long as Malwarebytes (mbam.exe) is showing as running in task manager, you are protected.

If not, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Help Desk to try first is to uninstall/reinstall as follows:

If Malwarebytes is running normally there is no need to follow the above instructions. I only posted them so you are aware in the event of future issues.

Thank you for the response, Malewarebytes opens when I click on it, so it is working. It just didn't pop up like it was supposed to after the update

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#7 theo19

theo19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:14 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Malwarebytes worked normally, besides the GUI not opening after I finished the update, I guess it was just a weird bug? Lmao stuff like that bothers me I always think something is wrong. Haha

#8 theo19

theo19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:23 AM

I've faced that situation many times (where Malwarebytes wouldn't open). What quietman said is right, a normal uninstall and reinstallation of the product usually fix that issue. It takes a few minutes to complete. What is important is to do a clean uninstall (so using the mbam-clean.exe executable, from the 2nd link provided by quietman), and the restart after you're done uninstalling the program.

Thank you for your response too, Malwarebytes was opening fine, when I clicked on it in the system tray the GUI would show normally

The GUI just didn't pop up after I clicked finish, it just seemed to open up in the system tray weirdly. even though I had the option set to launch after clicking finish, So I thought something was up 

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:16 AM

I thought it wasn't opening when you clicked on it, but it kept on running in the system icon tray, my bad. And no problem :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

Malwarebytes worked normally, besides the GUI not opening after I finished the update, I guess it was just a weird bug? Lmao stuff like that bothers me I always think something is wrong. Haha

All programs are subject to quirks and bugs from time to time but we shouldn't always think the worst when it happens.

#11 theo19

theo19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

All programs are subject to quirks and bugs from time to time but we shouldn't always think the worst when it happens.

I did test it by re-installing malwarebytes and when I clicked finish the GUI popped up.. 

I think it may have had something to do with me having to update twice. Usually when you update you get this message:

143093945258018_original.png?AWSAccessKe

Which basically says Malwarebytes will close before installing anything. So perhaps what happened was that the second update was weird and maybe malwarebytes didn't need to close to update. so it was already running so the GU didn't need to pop up, usually you don't have to update after finishing the first update 

Edited by theo19, 06 May 2015 - 03:16 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

In any event, we're glad to hear things are working again.

Edit: BTW...it happened to me again today when installing the latest version over the previous one on another computer I do not use that often. I had clicked the option to launch after the install, then finish and only the systray icon was displayed.

I suspect the reason is due to the definition database being automatically updated immediately upon install which stops the GUI from opening as it did in earlier versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users