Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound From Only One Speaker!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Maceman

Maceman

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

I have 2 speakers and sound is only coming out of one of them (the left). I tried using different speakers and the same thing happens. I'm pretty sure its a software problem because of this, I have installed every driver I can find and it still onyl works in one speaker.

These are the sound devices I have installed in the device manager:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Devices
Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device
VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

You'd be surprised, but it may actually only be the the hardware audio jack (as opposed to the speaker plugs).
If you wiggle it a bit (not too much, don't want any damage!) does the second speaker come on?
Has it always been like this, or what were the circumstances leading to the fault?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Maceman

Maceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

The speakers are plugged in all the way. I have never had sound come out of the right speaker since I bought this computer which was about a week ago.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

You may need to reinstall the drivers for your sound device. In the device manager, right-click on "VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)" and select properties.
Under the Drivers tab, you will see an otpion to update the drivers. You may need to download teh latest drivers from the web.....
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:52 PM

If you just bought the computer you must have at least a 30 day warranty... try calling the computer tech support.

#6 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:21 AM

A bit of obvious advice, but you never know...

Have you tried going to the volume controls (control panel/sounds & audio devices/volume tab/advanced) and checking the balance sliders?

Also, on the speaker volume dialogue check to make sure both sliders are set to maximum. ;)

Edited by Floydoid, 05 July 2006 - 03:25 AM.

Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#7 Maceman

Maceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:58 PM

You may need to reinstall the drivers for your sound device. In the device manager, right-click on "VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)" and select properties.
Under the Drivers tab, you will see an otpion to update the drivers. You may need to download teh latest drivers from the web.....

It says I already have the latest drivers. I have also downloaded the drivers manually from the website with the same problem.

If you just bought the computer you must have at least a 30 day warranty... try calling the computer tech support.

I built the computer so there is no one I can call.

A bit of obvious advice, but you never know...

Have you tried going to the volume controls (control panel/sounds & audio devices/volume tab/advanced) and checking the balance sliders?

Also, on the speaker volume dialogue check to make sure both sliders are set to maximum. ;)

The balance slider is right in the middle. What do you mean by the speaker volume dialogue? The little speaker by the clock? I'm sure the sounds on because its coming out of the left speaker, just not the right.

#8 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:51 AM

I was referring to the speaker volume button on the sounds & audio devices/volume tab.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#9 Maceman

Maceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:24 AM

Moving that bar moves the bar in the volume control settings by the clock. I have no idea what to do now.

#10 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:05 AM

If it is a physical problem with the integrated sound/sound card, the best bet is to follow Klinkaroo's advice before taking any other action and possibly voiding the warranty.

#11 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:57 PM

In reference to just me and Klinkaroo, they mean the manufacturer of your motherboard as I take it that it is integrated sound?
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#12 Maceman

Maceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

MSI told me to try the motherboard out of the case because it might be a grounding problem. It takes forever to unhook everything and hook it back up and them saying 'it might' is not worth my time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users