Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Debian 8: Linux’s most reliable distro makes its biggest change since 1993

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:26 PM

Debian 8—nicknamed "Jessie" after the cowgirl character in Toy Story 2 and 3—debuted last week, but it feels overdue. The release was in development within the Testing channel for quite a while, and, if you recall, Debian Linux consists of three major development branches: Stable, Testing, and Unstable. In order for a new iteration of Debian to officially go public, work must progress through each stage (starting in Unstable, ending in Stable). But it wasn't until the official feature freeze for this release in November 2014 that the contents of Testing really became what you'll actually find in Debian 8 today.

If all that sounds complicated and slow, that's because it is. In fact, that's kind of the point.

Debian Stable is designed to be, well, stable. The foundation of Debian is built upon long development cycles and a conservative approach to application updates.

So as a general rule, Debian Stable lags behind pretty much every other distro on the market when it comes to package updates. If you want the latest and greatest, Debian Stable simply isn't the distro for you. While Debian 8 may bring a ton of new stuff to Debian, it has almost nothing the rest of the Linux world hasn't been using for, in some cases, years. What's more, many things in Debian 8 are still not going to be the latest available versions.

Debian 8: Linux’s most reliable distro makes its biggest change since 1993

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:15 PM

Nick Au - I'm a little unclear on the download page of Debian under LIVE CDs- .packages.contents..log etc. I know the interfaces- XFCE,KDE,CINNAMON,MATE etc. but what do the other suffixes mean and which do I choose?I haven't run across this before-???

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:46 AM

Nick - I figured it out- I downloaded the .iso images at the bottom of the page- I don't know what the others are for- Windows couldn't open the files-

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:42 AM

Nick- I got past the initial login-password which is user:live. But then again I get another prompt and I have no idea what to enter there. You would think that they would make it easier to run a LIVE DVD! HELP! Let me try again and I will post the exact prompt I am getting-- ok - I was using the Debian Standard .iso and got this after entering user-password  user@debian:~$ LIVE   and thats as far as I got. Now-Itried another live CD Debian Cinnamon,and it just flew by the user-login and booted right up into LIVE Mode- so I guess the standard version is different- anyway- if you know how to get past that prompt it would help. I am going to try some of the other distros as well--

Edited by paul88ks, 02 May 2015 - 02:04 AM.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

What are the advantages of Debian 8 vs. the other distros that I am used to testing?In effect Mint,Ubuntu. and all their variations.I have over 20 .iso Images of Linux that I am testing,Debian being the latest.Other than being rather sparse in their OOTB Live CD. I don't see a lot of difference.Is their something that I don't understand here? Maybe some of you Debian users can clarify this for me? I get the whole "root" thing as opposed to the "sudo"command,but i am sure there is much more to learn than that! It is very stable and very fast,maybe because it's not filled up with bloatware?

#6 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

I haven't downloaded Debian 8.0 yet, still running 7.4.0. It's on my to do list though.

What are the advantages of Debian 8 vs. the other distros that I am used to testing?In effect Mint,Ubuntu. and all their variations.

Distros like Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and Zorin are all directly, or indirectly derived from Debian. Debian is known for it's stability, and thorough testing, which is one of the reasons why so many distros are based off of it. Debian is also completely available on a series of iso files which is useful for offline computers. Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and Zorin don't take this approach.

I get the whole "root" thing as opposed to the "sudo"command,but i am sure there is much more to learn than that!

Many of the distros you've been using are Debian derived, so most of the stuff you know translates between them. One thing that comes to mind would be that on Debian aptitude is preferred, but on Ubuntu, and Linux Mint apt-get is preferred as the package-manager. Not that it matters which you use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users