Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer still infected with worm.NSIL/necast.D

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MISSYSMARTYPANTS

MISSYSMARTYPANTS

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I would really appreciate some help with my computer.
My computer is a Sony Vaio notebook running Windows Vista Home Premium. I can't get the exact specs at the moment because the computer is almost in an unusable state.

Last month, my USB mouse stopped working while my sister was using it. She went online to fix it. The mouse started working again. She then clicked on an ad. All of a sudden, the laptop keyboard and trackpad stopped working. The computer started going nuts and then the screen went black (the screen was not off, just a glowing black). She shut off the computer.

I went to take a look at it. When I turned it on, it was only a black screen. I took out the battery and plugged the computer in. That got it to start. The keyboard and trackpad still weren't working, but the USB mouse was fully functional. I used the ease if acess button to use the on screen keyboard so I could log in. As soon as I got to the desktop, a bunch of fake antivirus programs popped up and then i got an alert stating that I was infected with worm.NSIL/necast.D.

After 10 minutes, I got a 0xa BSOD. I was sick and tired of dealing with it so I did a factory reset.

During the factory reset I got another 0xa BSOD. After the computer was done with the factory reset was finished, the keyboard and trackpad still didn't work. So I'm still stuck with the USB mouse/on screen keyboard combo. I still keep getting the BSODs.

The BSODs I usually get are:
0xa
0xc00000e9

I have Avast installed but something disabled it, I believe i still have a virus.

Avast also reported that I have 15 registry issues.

Thanks for taking the time and consideration to read through this, I greatly appreciate it. I usually will take a while to respond as I have a full time job and part time school.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

This can indicate a hard drive problem. If you have any important data on the computer I would back it up immediately to an external drive. Do you still get BSOD's in Safe Mode?

If you used Grimefighter in avast to detect 15 registry issues, do not use it or clean the registry. BC does not recommend registry cleaners.

#3 MISSYSMARTYPANTS

MISSYSMARTYPANTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

I still do get BSODs in safe mode, I have nothing on the computer of any worth. I have not used any registry cleaners. I do believe that the virus has buggered up the hard drive but I need some help to find out exactly what the problem is.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

I would download and run Gsmartcontrol. Run the short test and post the results of the test. 

info_testing.png

#5 MISSYSMARTYPANTS

MISSYSMARTYPANTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:59 PM

I cannot use it as it is a compressed file. The computer isn't fully updated because it gets a bsod or states that my software isnt legit (even though it is). So downloading things and using them barely works.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

You recieved the error that the software was not legit after doing the factory reset? Did you preform any updates after the reset?

You can test the drive using a bootable linux disk called PartedMagic. You can burn the iso file by using Imgburn or in Windows 7 right click and select Burn Disk Image.

If you do not have a CD/DVD then you can use a blank USB flash drive and Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Tap F12 at boot with the flash drive attached and select the flash drive from the boot menu.

For Rufus select an MBR partition scheme. In the dropdown box that shows Freedos select iso image and click the small icon. Browse to the PartedMagic iso you downloaded.

Boot to the PartedMagic desktop and doubleclick the DiskHealth or GsmartControl Icon. Run the short test. Copy the results to your flash drive.

#7 MISSYSMARTYPANTS

MISSYSMARTYPANTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

I have no blank dvds/cds or any usb drives :/ yesterday the computer got really slow so i used the "defragment your drive" option on the computer. Its been 22 hours since and i havent got a BSOD yet. I am trying to update it now so i can use the method that you suggested earlier.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

If the computer was never defragged then that will slow the computer. 22 hours for a defrag is a very long time. Hopefully you will no longer get an BSOD's. Does it still give the error that Vista is not valid?

#9 MISSYSMARTYPANTS

MISSYSMARTYPANTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

It only took an hour to defrag, it went 32 hours without a bsod. The last bsod I got was another 0xa and I havent gotten the error that windows isnt valid yet. I cannot update the drivers because my windows updater will not work.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

Sorry, I missed that. Go here and run the fixit to reset Windows Update Components.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

#11 MISSYSMARTYPANTS

MISSYSMARTYPANTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

Done, should I try to update now?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

Yes, reboot the computer and see if you can now update.

#13 MISSYSMARTYPANTS

MISSYSMARTYPANTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

The computer doesn't like being restarted. It will power itself down fine but fails to boot back up.

#14 MISSYSMARTYPANTS

MISSYSMARTYPANTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:38 PM

Update: computer booted back up and now is doing the startup repair thing.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Tap F8 at boot and select Use Last Known Configuration? Does that work? I cannot understand why that fixit would cause the computer to fail to boot. It was only the Windows Update Components that were reset.

Edit: Was the computer rebooted after you did the defrag?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 May 2015 - 02:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users