Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Broken Monitor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 mog16

mog16

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:40 PM

hey, my monitor just recently died on me and I was wondering if anyone could give some advice as to if I should try for a repair or just buy a new monitor. Monitor is a 17 inch flat panel Gem 821-A (I believe, don't have it here with me) and I have had it for 3 years and it worked great (I was pretty much in love with it). The symptoms of the malfunction began with the monitor flickering about 10 hours before it 'died'. By died I mean that the monitor is recieves power but doesn't recieve any signal from the computer (thus it turns off due to it's auto-powersaving features). My diagnostics so far have been to try a different monitor with the computer (worked fine...though the monitor was of a different input type (I don't know enough about computers to name but it had regular pins in addition to a long horizontal pin)) and I tried a different monitor cable with no success. So I believe this means that something within the monitor itself went bad or the monitor cable input on my video card went bad. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Maceman

Maceman

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:22 PM

Some monitor companies have warrantys which last more than 3 years, you should check to see if you still have yours. I had a CRT monitor die after a year of using it and I took it back to the store and they said I could swap it for an equal priced monitor. I have now been using a 19inch LCD for 2-3 years with never any problems.

If your warranty didn't last that long then I would recommend just buying a new LCD monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users