Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC will not post with new SSD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LionelHutz

LionelHutz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hello all,

I am currently running this system:

Windows 7 64bit

MSI z97-g45 mobo

r9 280x video card

12GB ram.

1.5TB hdd (forget the brand but prob WD or something similar, nothing fancy.)

I have wanted to upgrade to an SSD for a bit now but was in no real rush so I waited until I saw a sale. I finally jumped getting a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo for $244CAD. My plan is to run Windows 7 and main games off the SSD and movies etc off my old 1.5TB hdd.

I mounted the SSD inside my case and I unplugged the SATA and Power cable from the old HDD and plugged them into the new SSD. I turned on the PC and was greeted by a message (cannot remember exact wording) but saying something like no boot device detected please insert bootable cd and press any key to continue. I inserted Windows 7 installation disk into my PC and hit enter. THe message disappeared and I could hear the cdrom spinning but nothing happened. After a few seconds the cd room stopped spinning and the screen remained black. After about 2minutes I restarted the computer.

Upon restart I no longer get the message about no boot device detected. Instead I get a black screen with "A3" in the bottom right corner of my screen. Ive left it for over 5minutes, tried hitting different keys, but the message does not go away and nothing happens. Ive also tried multiple resets. Nothing changes.

I then opened my system again and switched the power and sata cables back to the old HDD and the PC boots up fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

I didn't read where you either cloned the OS from old to new HD, or, where you installed Windows onto the new HD.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 LionelHutz

LionelHutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

Hi Roland,

I did not clone the OS. I want to fresh install.

I seem to have fixed the issue. I went back into my PC and made sure both the old HD and the new SSD were connected to the PC. I then booted pc into bios and changed it to load from the SSD first. I then turned off PC and disconnected the HDD. When I turned PC back on it booted right to the windows disk and installed windows onto the SSD.

However maybe now you can help me with the next step.

How do I install the old HDD as a secondary drive?

Thanks!

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

Add the second drive to one of the open SATA ports preferably SATA2.  When the computer starts make sure that you have loaded into the SSD and not the second drive.  Then follow this guide to take ownership of the files and folders.

#5 LionelHutz

LionelHutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

I am looking for a fresh reformat on the old drive. I do not need any files from it as I have already backed them up.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

You need to have the BIOS boot order set so that your DVD/CD-ROM is the first device in the order, your SSD should be the second device.  I would remove the data and power cables from you hdd while you install the operating system on the SSD.

Place the installation disc in the optical drive, shut down the computer, restart the computer.

You will receive a message that basically states to press any key to boot from the disc, do so.  The installation should begin.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

I am looking for a fresh reformat on the old drive. I do not need any files from it as I have already backed

Go into computer right click the old drive, format is in the menu.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:39 PM

Edit:  I missed the fact that the op wanted to format the old drive.

In my best Gilda Radner  voice... never mind. :whistle:

Edited by dc3, 01 May 2015 - 04:50 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

Edit:  I missed the fact that the op wanted to format the old drive.

In my best Gilda Radner  voice... never mind. :whistle:

Just wait until you get to my age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

Holly mackerel!  You're eleven years my senior?  Does this require a special permit to post here??? :P

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

Holly mackerel!  You're eleven years my senior?  Does this require a special permit to post here??? :P

No!  But the effects get worse :crazy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users