Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No Boot Device Available"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tisbury

Tisbury

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

Hello all!  New to the forums, recommended by a friend of mine in the Netherlands.  

Here's the problem:

A long time ago I purchased a $3400 Dell XPS 600 directly from Dell.  Back then I was big into World of Warcraft and it was a beast of a gaming machine.  The box is massive, and it has worked nearly flawlessly until this past year.  About a year ago I started getting a message saying "Alert!  System battery voltage is low.  Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."  I proceeded to hit F1 every time and it started up normally.  Well about a month ago that stopped working.  Now I am getting the error message I am attaching here.  I am not sure what to do, but I have a decent amount of personal information saved on this pc and haven't backed it up in a while.   (I have a wife and two young kids, I don't have much time anymore for anything that is on this machine...)

Because I can't get the rig running, I am kind of stuck with more information.  I know it's running Windows XP. 

Any thoughts?  Thank you all in advance for your time and ideas!

-T-

20150501_131612.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

Some quick research on the voltage error is saying that some surge protectors are causing a false warning, but due to the age of the machines the CMOS battery is probably just going bad. As far as the operating system error, can you boot into the BIOS (press F2 I think on startup) and see if a hard drive is being recognized? If not then the drive is probably going bad.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 Tisbury

Tisbury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

Some quick research on the voltage error is saying that some surge protectors are causing a false warning, but due to the age of the machines the CMOS battery is probably just going bad. As far as the operating system error, can you boot into the BIOS (press F2 I think on startup) and see if a hard drive is being recognized? If not then the drive is probably going bad.

I am in BIOS, yes.  

Also, I have a big APC battery backup for my two pcs at my office desk.  I also read about that being an issue and plugged the computer directly into the wall with the same results. 

Edited by Tisbury, 01 May 2015 - 01:57 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

Taking Aerys' advice further, replace the CMOS battery first.  If error still persists, then start on other hardware diagnostics.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Tisbury

Tisbury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:11 PM

Replaced the CMOS battery with a new Energizer, hooked box back up and I still get the voltage error. 

Now, when I hit F1 I get this:

Don't think I have the original cd rom... it's been almost a decade. 

20150505_180844.jpg

Edited by Tisbury, 05 May 2015 - 06:12 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

What OS are you posting from now? It may be possible to replace pci.sys from C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 if that folder is available by using a bootable disk,either a linux distro or WindowsPE depending on what OS you are posting from;hopefully not a phone. If C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 does not exist I can upload pci.sys to dropbox and you can copy it to C:\Windows\System32\drivers using the bootable disk.

From this Dell thread it says there is an event log that can be cleared in BIOS. I would press F2 and reset your BIOS back to default if you did not do that after replacing the battery. This may remove the battery error.

If resetting BIOS does not remove the error you can power cycle the computer. Pull the power cord and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and boot the computer. According to the Dell thread I linked to you may have to do this three times.

#7 Tisbury

Tisbury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:45 PM

I kind of have a "computer" house... I have four laptops, four desktops and four tablets right now...  My son uses a laptop, daughter has a desktop, I have a personal laptop, a work laptop and two personal desktops, my wife has a laptop and a sony vaio touchscreen that I am posting on right now (windows 7 home premium).  Two of our laptops are windows 8.1, two are windows 7 and everything else is all over the place. 

Booted up the "troubled" pc, went into bios, reset to defaults, same problem.  I fixed the date first and eventually saved and exited.  Pops up with the low voltage problem again but I ignore it and it takes me to a black screen.  PC is still running, but there is a clicking coming from the box every ten seconds or so.  Monitor stays out of power saving mode, which means the machine is doing something... just not sure what. 

#8 Tisbury

Tisbury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

And the black screen went away.  

Now it says 

INVALID BOOT.INI FILE

BOOTING FROM C:\WINDOWS\

And it just sits there.  

#9 Tisbury

Tisbury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

NO BOOT DEVICE AVAILABLE - 

STRIKE F1 TO RETRY BOOT, F2 FOR SETUP UTILITY

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:29 PM

If BIOS says no boot device is available it probably indicates your hard drive has failed. You can remove the drive and attach it to one of your other computers either internally or using a USB enclosure then use Seatools for Windows to check the drive if a Seagate or use WD diagnostic software if a WD drive. If not Seagate or WD, Seagate for Windows should work fine.

Edit: When you access BIOS does it detect your HDD?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 May 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:39 AM

OP showed a pic concerning "pci.sys" failure; could that be an indication of not only boot device failure, but also pci failure somewhere along its "drive-train," i.e., the card within that slot, the slot itself, or pci bus [mobo]?  I'm from 1993-1999 computer company days, I'm straw-grasping.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 May 2015 - 10:40 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 Tisbury

Tisbury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

Alright, so it seems I'm going to need to remove the hard drive out of the box and hook it up to one of my other computers... Where do I find a reliable usb enclosure?  And what are the chances I can recover anything off of it? 

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hi Tisbury,

There is an alternative - you can use a live Linux CD to retrieve your data instead of having to remove your HDD (if your goal is only to get the data on it).

You will want to see this thread... it's a discussion on live Linux CDs that might be of use to you.

Regards,
Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users