Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning OS and recovery partitions to new ssd

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

I have a Medion E7214 laptop running 32 bit Windows 7 home premium. It has a recovery partition (Cyberlink PowerRecovery - Restore) so if I hit F11 prior to boot I get the restore/recover option

The laptop comes with option for a second HDD so I have bought a new Kingston 240Gb SSD

The existing boot partition is 266gb (246Gb free) and the Recovery partition is 29.9Gb(19.4Gb free)

Ideally I would like to clone both partitions so that the SSD becomes identical copy of the main disc. Then I would format the old HDD and use it as a second hard drive. If I make the 2 partitions smaller in order to fit could someone please advise how to go about cloning if it is at all possible

Also I'd appreciate any recommendations for free and easy to use cloning software. Unlike Seagate and other makes Kingston only sell theirs at a price

Seagate offer a free cloning program download but I'm not sure if it would work with Kingston

Thanks

Edited by Juliasdream, 01 May 2015 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hi,

Before touching the partitions I recommend that you try to find if the machine have some program provided by the manufacture to create a set of Recovery Disks because there is the chance of the restore/Recovery option stop working after changing the partitions.

The free Seagate disk wizard program will only work if your current HDD is from Seagate, a very similar program is also available from Western Digital in case you have a WD disk.

Edited by SleepyDude, 01 May 2015 - 12:35 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

I heard many brag about the free Macrium backup/restore program.

SleepyDude, you're right as rain about having at least data backps!

If the SSD is as large or larger than the current HD, I recommend not changing the size [or the names] of any of the existing partitions.  While Macrium may include a cloning function, I have used my Acronis True Image's clone function to successfully clone amongst twin HDs, from the older one to the newest one.  If there are any size changes to be made to any of the partitons, after full image backups, then make 'em on the SSD, correct?

Edited by RolandJS, 01 May 2015 - 12:43 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Just for reference the free tool provided by Seagate and Western Digital is a limited version of Acronis True image with a different name and less features but perfectly functional to create a backup or cloning an HDD.

Most likely the SSH is smaller than the HDD, some tools can adjust the partitions during the cloning operation but to do that the user must know the tool to do it properly... in my opinion it's easy and safer to adjust the partitions first on the HDD and then clone.

Again make sure you have backups of the data and the recovery disks to be safe.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

I'm currently creating a system image from the backup facility in the Windows control Panel

Would it suffice to restore that image to the SSD and keep the old HDD in a safe place in case of emergency?

Excuse my ignoance. I'm not sure if the system image would be enough. Would I have to first create a boot disc then run that on the new SSD first, then restore the system image from there?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

SleepyDude, your way is better!  OP can adjust partition size[s], test some way, and go onto the cloning.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

For Windows 7 cloning I always use EaseUS Backup/Recovery it's free and has an option to resize the partitions and optimize it for SSDs. Sometimes you need to run startup repair with a Windows 7 disc to get it to boot properly.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

I'm currently creating a system image from the backup facility in the Windows control Panel

It's a backup that includes everything on the machine but it can only be restored to the same HDD I don't think the software can restore to a smaller disk.

Would it suffice to restore that image to the SSD and keep the old HDD in a safe place in case of emergency?

Its a good strategy that you can use with any other software you decided to use for the cloning. As I stated above I don't think it can be done using the Windows Image tool because its limited.

Excuse my ignoance. I'm not sure if the system image would be enough. Would I have to first create a boot disc then run that on the new SSD first, then restore the system image from there?

No need. You should try with Easeus Todo Backup Free as suggested by Aerys try to clone the HDD to the SSD, the tool seems to be prepared for that.

After cloning remove the HDD and try to boot with only the SSD to see if the system works.

Edited by SleepyDude, 01 May 2015 - 03:20 PM.

___
Rui

#9 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

Hi again

I cloned the C drive using Easus as suggested and all the files on the new SSD show as being identical yet when I try to boot from it nothing happens. I just get a blank screen with a flashing dash on left side.

Could you suggest a solution to this

Thanks

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

If you have the Windows install DVD, simply boot it, get past the first screen, find Startup Repair, run Startup Repair, it should fix your SSD into becoming the boot drive.

#11 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

I don't seem to be very lucky with this cloning

I ran easeus and all appeared to go ok untill i tried to reboot at the end

As with my original setup before windows boots I get the option

"Press (F11) to run recovery"

Usually when I ignore that it just goes ahead and boots but in this case using just the cloned SSD nothing happens at all

It's no use me clicking on F11 because now there is no recovery partition.

I notice that in disc manager there are 3 partitions on the original HDD

Looking at it on another computer using a docking station

Local disc (G) 70.3 MB free of 99.9 MB

Boot disc (H) 242 GB free of 266GB

Recover (I) 19.4 GB free of 29.9 GB

My new SSD is only 240GB so what I've been trying to do is to clone only the Boot partition

I'm wondering if I should shrink all partitions to fit into the 240GB SSD

It doesnt matter if I lose storage space since I have a second HDD with 500GB available

Following RolandJS's advice I tried running startup repair but it didn't get me anywhere

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

Your SSD will not boot because it is missing the 100MB system reserved partition that is used to boot windows. I would clone the drive again using Easeus and check the edit link in the upper right of the window that allows you to shrink your partitions to fit the smaller SSD drive. Do not shrink the 100MB partition or the Recovery Partition. Only your 266GB partition. In order to shrink the partition you cannot select sector by sector clone.

easeus-todo-backup-clone-step-2.jpg

http://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-guide/disk-clone-guide.html

Edit: It is possible the F11 Recovery partition key will no longer function after the clone as it may be looking for the Recovery partition at a certain sector location which would now be different after the clone to the smaller drive. I would recommend you create a new disk image of the SSD drive with Easeus after you get the SSD to correctly boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 May 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

I don't seem to be very lucky with this cloning

I ran easeus and all appeared to go ok untill i tried to reboot at the end

That's why I wrote "...user must know the tool to do it properly"

I'm not very familiar with Easeus I used that only once or twice for a different task but based on the Aerys commend I assume it could clone to SSD automatically but it doesn't, the user need to do some adjustments  according to the JohnC_21 instructions that makes totally sense for me.

___
Rui

#14 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:01 AM

One more question

Firstly thanks to everyone for help. It finally worked

What I was doing wrong was I had easeus on a boot CD which seems to be a different version of the cloning tool. JohnC_21's screenshot mmade me realize it was a wrong method so I started again from scratcxh

It's true that the recovery partition on the cloned copy is useless which leaves me with almost 60 GB doing nothing

Is there an easy way of removing that partition and adding the 60GB to my Boot (C:) drive ?

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

It's true that the recovery partition on the cloned copy is useless which leaves me with almost 60 GB doing nothing

Is there an easy way of removing that partition and adding the 60GB to my Boot (C:) drive ?

The Windows Disk manager should do it but some times the Recovery Partition have some special signature that makes windows refuse to delete the partition, if this is your case then you can use Easeus
Free Disk Partition Manager

- Guide for Windows Disk Management: http://www.howtogeek.com/101862/how-to-manage-partitions-on-windows-without-downloading-any-other-software/

- Guide for Easeus: http://www.partition-tool.com/knowledge-base/how-to-extend-system-partition.htm

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users