Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

repair licensed win 8 enterprise with evaluation iso??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zoi3579

zoi3579

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

Hello

My Windows 8 Enterprise Edition that came with my Lenovo computer has completely failed, none of the automatic recovery options work, so I need to do a reinstall or repair. All my data is backed up now so Im happy to wipe everything If need be.

I have looked on the lenovorecovery.com and I can order a recovery disk for a £35 'admin fee'. However, being a cheapskate, and also wanting it up and running ASAP, I'm wondering whether I can use the Enterprise Edition Evaluation ISO and do a fresh install.

However, I'm worried though that if I do that I will lose my license and it will actually become an evaluation instead of the licensed Windows that was on there before. Apparently Enterprise edition does not have a product key, it's just sort of built in. Will the evaluation edition recognise that it is already licensed if I do a repair with it, or will it just wipe any trace of the pre-existing license?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

Tell the "admin" to stick their 35 quid. ... Be pushy and get that disk for free.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

According to Microsoft Enterprise is only available to organizations. Your IT department should take care of providing the key and reinstalling Enterprise. Did you purchase this computer used?

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

What automatic recovery options did you tried?

Can you post the exact model of the machine.

I don't think you can use the Trial version to do a Repair install.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 zoi3579

zoi3579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

Hi,

What automatic recovery options did you tried?

Can you post the exact model of the machine.

I don't think you can use the Trial version to do a Repair install.

The machine is Lenovo H530S machine type 10131.

I've tried startup repair, refresh, reset (says I need original discs or recovery media) and system restore (no restore points created... doh). they are all the options apart from system image recovery but I don't have a system image file. won't boot into safe mode.

According to Microsoft Enterprise is only available to organizations. Your IT department should take care of providing the key and reinstalling Enterprise. Did you purchase this computer used?

That is strange. Yes I bought it used from ebay but they bought it from currys (they sent me a scan of the receipt, they are apparently posting me the original now) and were using it for computer games. When googled enterprise edition before I got the impression that enterprise was the version that companies batch installed on machines for resale as there is no product key

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

It seems that Lenovo sells those machines with Windows 8.1 x64

Iit should be possible to delete everything and install Windows 8.1 fresh using the disk provided by Microsoft check this.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

Hello,

If you do a fresh install with the Windows 8 enterprise evaluation you will NOT be able to activate it, this evaluation version can not be validated.

#8 zoi3579

zoi3579
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

Hello,

If you do a fresh install with the Windows 8 enterprise evaluation you will NOT be able to activate it, this evaluation version can not be validated.

I'm so confused though, because I've read that the product keys for Windows 8 are installed in the BIOS so I should be able to just download and install some version of Windows and it will see the product key.

BUT ive also read that Windows Enterprise does not have a product key as it is sold under something called volume licensing. So I guess the jist of it is that because Im using WIndows enterprise, there is no Product key in the BIOS, therefore I cannot reinstall windows without using the recovery disks?

Why do they have to make this stuff so confusing!!?

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

I'm so confused though, because I've read that the product keys for Windows 8 are installed in the BIOS so I should be able to just download and install some version of Windows and it will see the product key.

Yes but you have to install the Windows 8 edition that matches the key stored on the BIOS. That's why I suggest you to download and install Windows 8.1 not the Pro edition because according to the Lenovo webpage its the OS provided.

BUT ive also read that Windows Enterprise does not have a product key as it is sold under something called volume licensing. So I guess the jist of it is that because Im using WIndows enterprise, there is no Product key in the BIOS, therefore I cannot reinstall windows without using the recovery disks?

Windows Enterprise is available to Volume Licensing clients and the activation can be done through a KMS server on the client network or using a Multiple Activation Key (MAK) not in the BIOS.

It seems none of this can be used in your case...

___
Rui

#10 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

TBH it sounds like you have bought a counterfeit version of Windows. Enterprise can only be used if you belong to large organization as it requires Volume licensing.

Two things, I would like to see the licensing report:

License Information (Windows 8)
  • Right click on the aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_39. button
  • Click on Command prompt =>
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command
    licensingdiag.exe -report "%userprofile%\Desktop\report.txt" -log "%userprofile%\Desktop\repfiles.cab"
  • Once finished please go to your desktop -> You will see two files report.txt and repfiles.cab -> Please select both files and add them into a zip file
  • Upload this zip file to your next reply

And can you please run the following and let me know if something does return (but dont post what returns)
http://thetechcookbook.com/how-to-find-your-windows-88-1-oem-product-key/

If the above comes back blank it means that there is no key embedded in the BIOS, there will only be a key embedded on OEM devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users