Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect 2 DVDs, HDD & SSD at once

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LockeLiefather

LockeLiefather

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

Hello, that's my first forum topic here, English is not my native language so please, pardon me if my grammar is bad or I would use strange words to translate my thoughts :P

My problem is that my computer started to behave strange month after switching to combination of SSD and HDD drives. When my old drive shut-down, I decided to take old 250g dive, and new 1000g drive, and install system on smaller HDD. After some time, i changed 250g HDD to 120g SSD, attempting to clone one drive to another. Sadly, operation failed and I had to install system over again. After this change, month passed and my computer started to use disks in 100%. Whole system jammed, 1000g HDD ringed very quietly, and system manager showed 100% usage of both disks. Problem occurred only when i tried to excessively use HDD, like antyvirus scanning, defragmentation or patching a game located on HDD.

First thing i tried to do was messing up with cables inside computer. I thought that disk doesn't get as much energy as it needs. Then, another problem occurred. No matter how hard I tried i couldn't get my system to boot with both DVDs, SSD and HDD connected to motherboard. I can connect it only with one particular DVD or HDD, other DVD works fine, but I have to choose if I can connect another DVD or HDD with all personal data (decision is pretty obvious :P).

Then i started to look if it is fault of HDD, so I ran few disk checking tools like HDD tune or seatools. First, it showed damaged sectors, but as it turned out, they were only logical, and after CHKDSK scan they were gone. After looking some time on the net, i found that it might by fault of energy settings in Windows, and after i changed setting from energy saving to high performance disk works good and i haven't got any problem since. But, silent ringing still occurs, and I must say that I was afraid to launch anything that uses my HDD excessively so I can't say for sure that problem is gone xD

Of course, computer still doesn't boot properly with all components connected. Today i have replaced my power source, Modecom 500, to a modular Thermaltake, thinking that my problems are connected to an old and not so liked on the computer forums power source (I dunno how you call it in English, so sorry if "Power Source" isn't official term, I mean this little box that powers whole computer). Sadly, problem still occurs. If I connect my computer with one particular DVD and HDD at once computer gets BSOD over and over again until I disconnect DVD or HDD. Most faulty here is DVD because it only works in some SATA ports, while connected to others also crashes system boot. By boot, I mean that computer powers of or get BSOD during system launch when WIndows logo is present with progress indicator (little dots circling until system launches)

To summarize, now main problem is that I can't connect 2 DVDs, HDD, and SSD at once. Power Source can't be faulty, so it's either fault of DVD itself, Mother Board or some strange system settings. Can you guys help, please? I replaced almost every single internal hardware over period of 2 years, and after all that I'm just exhausted to fix everything on my own again. Help will be greatly appreciated :D

System Settings:

Windows 8.1

Motherboard: Gigabyte G41MT-D3

Processor: Intel Core Quad Q8400

Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 650 TI BOOST

HDD: Seagate 1TB (ST1000DM003) 7200RPM SATA III 64MB CACHE

SSD: Good Ram SSD C100 120g

Power Source: ThermalTake Smart SE 530

Edited by LockeLiefather, 01 May 2015 - 08:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hi :).

That board has 4 SATA connectors and 1 IDE connector...so it should easily support those connections.

The weak link between any drive and the motherboard...lies with the cables.  Whether they contribute to your problem or not, I would simply replace those as a way of eliminating them consideration.

A decent 500-watt PSU will be adequate for 5 drives...I have a secondary desktop system where I employ such configuration.

The most overlooked item in any system tends to be (IMO) the CMOS battery.  I would replace that (total cost of less than $5).  I have seen failing CMOS batteries result in a series of BSODs where there really was no problem (other than the CMOS battery).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users