Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Crap PC build

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:54 AM

i was bored one day and i found the 2 desktops in my workshop, one has a torn up case and the other had a "cooked processor" so i smash out the DVD and FDD bay's in the torn up case desktop (after removing the MOBO) and i placed the "cooked proccessor" one in... i now needed to find a way to make it turn on... so i locate the power pins on the board (thers 2 so i can jump them) and i spliced the accessory connectors from the other MOBO, i fitted the connector and i had to find a momentary switch... so i look through the house and cant find one, so i instead found a small manual flipswitch (kinda like the barebones ones you see in movies that spark alot) and put the wired to that... i then ziptied the HDD and the PSU to the top and wired it all up... i turn it on and it boots! (ubuntu says unreliable cpu thermal sensor; monitoring disabled, and every time i try logiing in to unity the processor clock goes from over aa billion herts to zero in a second (wow, fast!) so i unplugged everything and take a look at the processor and when i pull the heatsink off, i find out i was so idiotic that i didnt know what thermal paste was! so the processor cooked the thermal paste and itself... i look up for homemade cpu paste and find that you mix 75% toothpaste (regular stuff not the gel) and 25% petroleum jelly, mix for ten minutes and apply to burned area (xD) i turn on the pc again and it works, i can now open up a web browser in LXDE (unity doesnt work yet, have yet to test cinnamon and Gnome) and it lives to tell its story, now my house smells minty fresh too!

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

Eat your heart out, MacGyver.

And thanks for that find on the improvised heat paste.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 Zach6656

Zach6656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

no problem... it should last up to 3 months... and the PC needs a new processor... its kinda cooked from when it overheated tho so i guess its half magic smoked.

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users