Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet on wi-fi connection

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ko-Enshaku

Ko-Enshaku

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

Hi guys, I've been experiencing some internet access problems. From time to time (quite regularly actually) I will suffer from severe internet slowdown or more often complete loss of internet access. I have broadband, use a wi-fi connection and share internet access with other flatmates. Initially, I thought the problem was because of peak time access, or my flat mates were hogging the bandwidth but I've found that his problem has reared it's ugly head when it's midday and they're not here. Plus, it seems that I am the only one experiencing this issue, when it happens to me they are having no issues at all.

Looking into this problem, I thought it was initially because my IPv6 read 'No Internet Access' while my IPv4 was working fine. But after a bit more reading it seems that I needn't be concerned about IPv6. 

Things I have read and tried:

• Multiple restarts on the router (hard and soft)
  • Disconnect and reconnect on my laptop
  • Using the Windows diagnose issue (does occasionally work - screenshots of when it doesn't below)
  • Uninstalled Bonjour
  • McAfee AV issue (I have removed all traces of this now)
  • Changed the TCP/IPv4 properties to obtain DNS server address automatically
  • Having a fixed IP address rather than obtain automatically 

The following commands in cmd:

1. netsh winsock catalog reset - netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
  2. /f route
  3. ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew (screenshots of what I get below) 

I have a feeling this might be revealing the route cause, but I don't know what that is:

2ntk21h.jpg

ipconfig /renew screeny

Spoiler

Windows Network Diagnostics 1

Spoiler

Windows Network Diagnostics 2

Spoiler

Super slow internet access, barely loading a page.

Spoiler

I would very much appreciate any and all help with this thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

Have you tried connecting to the router via Ethernet.?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

Agree - try Ethernet.

Assuming Ethernet works, update/download a wifi driver refresh.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#4 Ko-Enshaku

Ko-Enshaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Ethernet works perfect, unfortunately I can't use it all the time. I am looking into the wifi driver refresh - I have a few it seems? Intel, Dell, a couple of MS Virtual ones and a Realtek one. Do they all need to be updated?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

At this point it would be nice to know the make and model of this computer.

If this is a desktop you are most likely using a sub wifi adapter.  If this is the case go into the Device Manager and double click on Network Adapters and see if there is a yellow warning icon or red error icon.

See what the driver is in the Network Adapters and download it online.  Then uninstall the driver in the Device Manager, now install the downloaded driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Ko-Enshaku

Ko-Enshaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

I have a Dell XPS L502X - 2011 from what I was told by the Dell check.

I have updated just the Intel driver so far and there 'may' be a slight improvement. When my connection goes to crap, it still runs albeit very slowly. Will need to do more testing.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

Go to this Dell website page.

Click on Network to open the downloads available.

Click on Download for the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030/Advanced-N 6230 Driver.

#8 Ko-Enshaku

Ko-Enshaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

Thanks. I guess I should make sure the rest of my Network devices are updated with the latest drivers as well?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

You initially posted that the problem was with the wifi connection.  This being the case I would install just that driver and see how it goes from there.

I was out of town yesterday, I apologize for not being able to get back to you sooner.

#10 Ko-Enshaku

Ko-Enshaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:11 AM

No problem. Still having some serious slow down issues at times. I'm going to check again and when it happens see how my tablet fares with the connection because this is just crazy.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

Did you install the wifi driver?

#12 Ko-Enshaku

Ko-Enshaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

I did indeed. I even used Intel's Driver Updater to make sure I got the right one.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

I posted the link to Dell's download for that driver.  That is where you should have downloaded the driver.  You always want to use the manufacturer's site to download drivers.  The exception is if the device you are looking for a driver was not installed at the factory.  Like a dedicated graphics card.

#14 Ko-Enshaku

Ko-Enshaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

I see, my apologies. I did look at the site, but my hardware was a bit different to what was listed - I have a Intel Wirelss Centrino N-1000 whereas on Dell it lists Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 so that's why I thought maybe it was best to get the the exact driver from Intel. Should I go ahead and get this one instead?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

I see...  It would have been helpful to have mentioned the fact that you had made this change.

Try the driver for the N-1000.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users