Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating dv7

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sig@Signature

Sig@Signature

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:30 AM

Hello all :) Hopefully my problem resides under this topic... xD

Jumping straight into things, I have a 4 year old laptop thats caused me quite the amount of grief since year 1 (end of warranty). With my laptop newly gaining „not responding“ messages, I'm coming closer to the conclusion that its reaching its end, however, I'd love it if I could find a way to prolongate its lifespan in any way. I'm sure this doesn't come as a surprise, but I have massive overheating issues!

Laptop Specs:

HP Pavilion dv7-4294 Entertainment Notebook PC

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel i7 Quad-Core 2 GHz

4GB Memory 750GB HDD

AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000

46% Physical Memory

Details & Temperatures With External Fans:

Idle, Fresh, No Programs & With HP Recommended Power Plan:

@ 0 - 4% CPU Usage

Motherboard (& ACPI) @ 80 C

CPU @ 78 C

Graphics @ 65 C

Storage @ 40 C

Idle, Fresh, No Programs & With Power Saving Plan:

@ 0 - 2% CPU Usage

Motherboard (& ACPI) @ 70 C

CPU @ 65 C

Graphics @ 60 C

Storage @ 38 C

Now, you can imagine, with a game running, it easily reaches 95 – 99 C. :(

Things I've Tried:

I've tried all sorts of things to fix the problem including: thermal paste, cleaning the heatsink, cleaning the fan, and replacing up to a total of 5 fans over the course of the past 4 years. I also clean the fan through its vent weekly with a vacuum cleaner (on low-to-medium setting). I've used countless types of checking programs including the typical Avast, Malwarebytes, Defraggler, CCleaner, Disk Cleanup, Tune-up, Disk Defragmenter, TFC, internal programs, microsoft programs, HP support programs, etc, etc. I made sure things were up to date just today-2 weeks ago (including the Bios) and ran all sorts of repairs (including registry), and I've sketched around in Safe Boot.

Laptop's Environment:

I never use my laptop on my actual lap, its spent its entire life lifted on a desk with a cooling pad underneath it (Cooler Master: Notepal U3) and an extra, powerful normal fan. Also, its battery died last year so thats been removed.

Techy Input:

I've been to countless technicians telling me that there was nothing that they could do about it because laptop designs are flawed, or otherwise they wanted an overpriced sum to even look at it. The thing is, I also play World of Warcraft (the only thing I really use the laptop for) and I've spoken to countless technicians learned specifically in this game with no help either, other than “maybe.... get more memory?“ I did get confirmation from a family member that my motherboard is taking heat damage and that my hard drive was too, so he exchanged it for a new HDD. But he too was at a loss as to how to keep it cool – the heatsink is always hot and the fan is running perfectly fine. I wonder if the occasional metalic „pop“ sound I hear when my laptop is off has to do with that...?

Things I Haven't Tried:

The only things I've come up with that are left to try are a clean wipe, undervolting, dim the amount of ram being used, and getting the vent cut open so that the fan can breathe better (trumph card >_<). I am a little hesitant on a clean wipe since I'm inexperienced in it.

Hopefully none of this information came out as overly direct, its a little frustrating but I'm highly determined to help this laptop. I truely hope I can get some help or perspective on this from someone who's more educated, unlike myself xD. It would be highly appreciated. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users