Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ssd... life span

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:40 AM

good morning to all,

some time ago i have posted a question regarding ssd drive since i want to buy one

i have received many replies for which i thank very much, although i have some concerns on the life span of an ssd drive

a friend of mine who is professional videographer just recently told me that his 350 gb ssd drive lasted only 27 months

and this is because of the very large video files (.mp4 avchd) transfers between video camera and the ssd, also the life span of an ssd drive depend on read/write cycles something like 100.0000 cycles (if it is true)

i do a lot of audio edits and video renderings from large files so please i wish to to know if all the above is true

many thanks in advance

Edited by nickko, 01 May 2015 - 12:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

I would not recommend using an SSD for video editing or rendering. I have an ssd but use a standard drive as a cache for adobe premier and writing/copying video to. No large video files ever touch the SSD. The fastest I had seen a SSD wear out was when a user was using FRAPS to record 1080p daily on a smaller 64gb ssd, it lasted about 6 months, this user was recording files in the 20-50GB range and editing those on the SSD.

Depending on which NAND type drive you have: TLC < MLC < eMLC < SLC, will change the number of write cylces per cell before issues occur.

If you do a lot of writing I would suggest a standard hard drive for the writing and an SSD for the software to increase load times.

A lot of drives these days report the daily GB writes they will handle to last through their warranty or for a number of years.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:57 AM

good afternoon dear zingo156

i thank you so much for the very detailed reply

my friend finally had right about the problems with ssd drives

you see i do not have any experience with ssd drives

ok, then i will follow your advice

i keep my sata drive for video edit and rendering and the ssd only to run my programs

thanks a lot

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

Glad to help, happy computing.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

I just bought a Kingston 240Gb SSD and it has 3 years warranty so I would expect it to last well over 3 years.

I doubt if they'd guarantee it for that long if they didn't have confidence in it lasting that long

I notice some manufacturers guarantee theirs for only one or two years which is why I chose Kingston

#6 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

your welcome dear zingo156

i fully agree dear Juliasdream

i think that ssd drives have a very long way before they become fully reliable

i still have an old wd ide 40 gb drive that is still working

many thanks for the replies

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:02 AM

SSDs have come a long way.  Read the SSDEndurance Experiment.  The conclusion was that SSDs last far longer than we believed.  The first one didn't die until after 750TB had been written to it, most lasted for more than a petabyte (1,000 terabytes).

#8 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:43 AM

The only thing that has disappointed me so far with the Kingston SSD is the support

Crucial, Seagate, WD and others all offer free download software for cloning and setting up.

On the Kingston packaging it says free technical support

Well I phoned Kingston for support and they said I had to buy the software by ordering the CD

So much for free support

I guess I should have gone with WD.

Not only is it not free but you have to pay and wait for delivery.

Very inconvenient if you want to get setup right way

As it happend my problem was solved for free with the help of this forum through free easeus software download

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

The mistake I've seen some users have made is to consider how large the files are that you are rendering and being sure that after the OS is loaded, does the software program leave enough room in RAM to hold the entire file.  Other wise reads and writes of the file during manipulation to and from the SSD will seriously reduce the MTBF. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users