Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

I have a person asking me if its necessary to set the jumpers on an SATA drive to become a slave. Is it? His computer is not recognizing the drive at all, but that was only through windows, He didnt mention BIOS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

You don't need jumpers since you can only have one drive per channel...

For the part about it not being reconized we are going to have to wait untill someone more intelligent comes around.

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:55 PM

You don't need jumpers since you can only have one drive per channel...

For the part about it not being reconized we are going to have to wait untill someone more intelligent comes around.

Ah, I only have experience with IDE HDD's, not SATA's. So, yeah, this is new to me.. He didnt say if he has more than one SATA drive, and if he does, he probably needs the driver for the next plug.If he doesnt, probably has to enable SATA in the BIOS.. Just logically speaking.. Anyone confirm what I think?

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:21 PM

Firstly we need to know if he has any IDE drives, and if so are they being used as the system drive (to boot up from), and also how many SATA drives he has, and particularly how they are connected to the motherboard (ie by an expansions PCI card, or directly to the motherboard...) this way we can determine what is happening and what needs to be done! Post back when you're ready!! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

Will do.. Sine I dont deal with SATA too much, this is obviously new to me, thanks for helping =).

It'll probably be wednesday when I post back, tomorrow being the 4th and all.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

IIRC, there are no jumpers on SATA. However, you have to go into the BIOS so that it will recognize the drive, and SATA has to be enabled. (Older computers required you to tell the computer to search for the drives, one at a time.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users